Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st bow deer of the year down for me >

1st bow deer of the year down for me

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st bow deer of the year down for me

Old 11-06-2005, 07:42 PM

Default 1st bow deer of the year down for me

With it getting increasingly closer to peak rut here, I was in desperate need of a buck because im hunting an earn a buck area. I didnt even plan on hunting because ofa family thing, but my dad said i could skip it and i took off as fast as i could to drive down to our land. I got there at 12, was on stand by 1230, and proceeded to start napping. I only let myself sleep for a little bit, and about 10 minutes after i woke up and stretced, a buck came trotting past me. 110" 8 pointer, 2 1/2 year old, stopped 20 yards broadside on the logging road i was overloooking. after he drank from a water hole that i was sitting near, he went walking off behind me where i knew he'd get my wind and he did, running off into the woods. about an hour later, i saw movement and grabbed my bow. a doe came running towards my stand with a 1X2 year and half old hot on her tracks grunting. suddenly, 10 feet from my stand, she stopped and started going towards the logging road, pausing only to crawl under a downed tree trunk. i figured i could clip on right then and try to draw, but she caught me and bolted. her and the buck did circles around me for a half hour, and the closest she came after that was 35 yards and i decided to pass because i couldnt get her stopped. she lost the buck momentarily, and just as he came into my viewing range, i saw a doe fawn running down the logging road towards me. I stood, clipped on and drew, and let fly once she slowed down broadside to me. I saw the hit was good, i hit low and tight to the shoudler, actually going right through the leg bone on the entrance side. i got complete penatration, she ran in that death run about 60 yards before dropping stone dead. i waited a few minutes, climbed down, and the buck was still there. i threw rocks at him, yelled at him, snorted at himm, everything, and he refused to leave. i just said, what the hell? if he wants to be an idiot, thats cool too.

after field dressing, the autopsy showed the doe fawn died of an 85 grain Slick Trick through her heart,which resulted in massive bleeding. i really love what those slick tricks did, defintely will kill a deer.

Oh, andareally cool sidenote: i was locking the gate behind me(we have gates on all the main roads into the different parts of our land) and saw 75-100 turkeys in the pasture about 1/2 mile away across the highway on our land. so i got the 10X50's out to start counting, and i immediately saw running deer. three does leapt into the pasture and started eating. a 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer jumped in with them and proceeded to run them all around the pasture and back into the woods. he did that for 10 minutes, i thought it was really cool. i saw another flock of turkeys too, that one numbering around 50.too bad i already filled that tag.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1st bow deer of the year down for me

Sounds like a great day to me. Good job.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:31 PM

Congrats on the first kill of the year!!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:58 PM

Great story, congrats on deer #1 for the year. I'm heading to WI this coming weekend myself, hope to hit the peak of the rut like last year at this time.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates