Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many times do you take a youngster hunting ? >

How many times do you take a youngster hunting ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
1-3 times a year
25.00%
4-6 times a year
20.00%
7-9 times a year
5.00%
10 or more
40.00%
Are you kidding, no way !!!
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

How many times do you take a youngster hunting ?

Old 11-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many times do you take a youngster hunting ?

My sons are 13 and 15 and have been hunting with me for 4 years now. Currently I take them everytime I am duck/goose hunting and every time I gun hunt for deer (coming up soon this year). I also take them on NH Youth waterfowl, turkey and deer weekends.

the price I pay is I won't shoot as many deer, cause they get the shot, the payoff is my kids are learning the right way, they are safe, and most of all I get to spend alot of quality time with them. My oldest will need his own license next fall and can hunt on his own. Not sure how often we will turn him loose totally on his own, but at a minimum I can put him in a stand and leave him there.

The look on the face of their first shots is priceless.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 AM
New Sheriff

My boy is 9. He goes with me every time I go when there is a gun or muzzle loader season open. He missed one last weekend but we will get em this weekend.

It's the coolest thing I have ever done, watching him learn and become addicted just like I was. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

That said, thank God for bowseason where I can get a little peace and quiet on the stand...lol
Old 11-01-2005, 06:40 AM

My 11 year old went turkey hunting with me on 2 trips this year.I will take him every week end of gun season untill he is out of tags.He usually goes and sets in the stand with me during bow season once or twice a year.Plus all the squirrel hunting we do,I think he has the bug as bad as I do!!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 AM

I dont have any kids of my own, but the kids that live around me are constantly asking me to take them. Whenever they ask me i take them. I remember when i was that age and always wanted to go but i was too afraid to ask all the older people to take me. Plus i am only 19 so it is fun to have them out there with me.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:05 AM

I have a 14 year old and a 12 year old. They go every chance they get and my 14 year old is starting to hunt by himself. He got to shoot at his first buck with a bow, but no luck. I will say that it makes me proud when the 14 year old gets up on his own and goes hunting with his friend down the road. I know that they have "hunted" moe than me this year. Although I think I have put in moer stand time than them.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like american express, I don't leave home without them. I have ALWAYS taken my son with and many times my daughter. It has made for memories that will last a lifetime. Now I take my girl friends son too. I can't remember the last time I went to the woods without one of them.