Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck? >

is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck?

Old 10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck?

You guys in Iowa need to have a little perspective....
Plenty of perspective here. I lived in Michigan (Lansing) for twelve years I know where your coming from. That said I let plenty of bucks walk in Michigan also. It is true I didn't kill a Boone & Crockett buck in Michigan, but I have never done that in Iowa either. They don't come around that often. I'm not sure that most people realize how big a 170 inch (net) typical is.

In giving my answer I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck. All of the time and preparation I put in to kill a mature buck is no small amount. I should kill a mature buck. Of course there are seasons that aren't as good as others. Over time you can't keep killing a bigger buck each year than you did the year prior. It just doesn't work that way in the real world.

Don't get me wrong, I love being out there. More than most I can guarantee that. But if I just wanted to feel the frilly feelings I get when I am in the outdoors I could save myself a lot of time, money, and effort and simply go on a picnic...
Old 10-28-2005, 02:53 PM

This is just my opinion but, I don't see why people want 1:1 or 1:2 buck doe ratios. My way of seeing it is the more does there are out there the more that there will be pregnant for next year posibly creating more bucks.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

deer hunting here is difficult. I talked to an aquaintance of mine the other day, and said that he didn't want to shoot a doe because of the possibility of a buck being nearby and screwing up the area. this from a guy that saw 13 deer all last year. doesn't want to shoot a doe for that reason, yet cries that there are no bucks around. I don't get it. other people will shoot anything that has four hooves and is brown. weekend warriors, or first and last dayers as my buddy and I call them. the herd management concept here is so misplaced and misunderstood it isn't funny. I just wish that we had better educated hunters around me, everywhere for that matter. not saying that there are not smart hunters out there, because there are, but do some research. be a good deer hunter.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I will hold out to the very end of the season for a mature buck that I want to look at on my wall for the rest of my life and the lives of my children and their children, etc. I will harvest a doe for meat but if I don't get a buck then I'm disappointed but the season by no means is a bust. It's like any sport, as long as I did my best and didn't leave anything on the court/field and did my best then so be it...chalk one up for the monsters of the timbers. If it was so easy to get one every year and was no challenge, then I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:18 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I am disappointed if I don't kill a buck but I also pass up a lot of bucks every yeartrying for a mature buck. I enjoy my time out there no matter what but the bottom line is taking a big buck or tag soup. I don't like tag soup and never will!! I've eaten it enough times!! [:@]

As for shooting one due to the contest. I still feel you should shoot one that you are happy with. The contest should not have any bearing on that. Ihunt hard reguardless of the contest. Last year I ate my tag... this year I didn't.

Tim

Old 10-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, if that was the case, I woulda quit hunting years ago...I have yet to kill a good racked buck after 7 years of hard hunting.

Something keeps me going back out every year...
Old 10-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

If its brown it is down! Do you measure the amount of your manhood on the size of the antlers?
lol same exact phrase i use on my land. I see any deer as a trophy with a bow. I pass on button bucks and very small deer of course but If its a 2 year old doe ill take her.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:56 AM

Depends on the person I guess.

I've hunted the last 5 weekends. Saw7 different bucks, numerous does. Had a squirrel run over my boots. And quite possibly the coolest thing was a large hawk that was perched 50 yards from me fly right at me. I'm not small by any means,and I'm sure I don't look like an easy feast. It got to about 10 feet, realized that I wasn't lunch, and veered away quickly. It was so surreal, as it turned, it craned it's neck to look me over . Very cool (seemed like slow motion). And the best/worst of it all, I had a sweeeeet 8 pt. at 15 yards. Is it a bust, not to me. Then again, I hunt where the doe are plentiful (Pepin County, WI), and am fairly confident that there will be meat in the freezer by Thanksgiving.

The Trashcanman
Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

There has to be more to it for me than just seeing or connecting with deer(doe or buck). If that was my only reason for being in the woods, I would have stopped going out awhile ago.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seasons a bust = empty freezer

Full freezer = mission accomplished

Quick Reply: is the season a bust if you don't kill a buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.