Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fell out of treestand... >

Fell out of treestand...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fell out of treestand...

Old 10-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fell out of treestand...

How many of you guys that don't wear safety belt like to trim some of the small trees from underneath the stand? You know the ones you cut at an angle and leave about two feet high. The perfect impalement tool.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

"I always push a rope a head of me with my climber. "

AMEN, BROTHER!

Wear 'em going up and down. This is the time they'r eneeded the MOST! Once I get my stand locked in and on the tree....I feel good about it (Mind you I'm ALWAYS strapped)....but going up and down is the time for accidents.

Wear the harness....for your family.

Jeff

Old 10-26-2005, 07:35 AM

My cousin is a nurse at a hospital here just outside Philly and she has 5-10 guys each archery season come in because they fall out of trees from not using safety harnesses. Its an absolute must. I use the Seat of the Pants harness from Summit. I love it. Its a full body harness. I climbed up about 4 feet and jumped off the stand to see how it handled.. Its awesome.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 AM

I just had a friend who fell 18' out of his homemade treestand. He shattered his right wrist and broke his left wrist. Plus his 4 year old son was still in the stand. To me, its not worth the risk of seriously injuring yourself. I have on occassion forgotten my harness and I never go above 8'. Its better to be safe then sorry. I hope I never have to use them, but if I do, its worth the hassle of using them.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not fallen but I jumped from the tree once in my excitement at arrowing an 8 point. I started down the steps and just let go. I fell about 12 feet. I was not hurt because of youth but would not want to repeat it 21 years later. I once hung a stand about 4 feet on a tree in my backyard and hooked up the safety belt, just to get aquainted with everything. When I was done I jumped off the stand, forgetting about the strap. Funny as hell was me swinging around the tree, bashing off the trunk and swinging helplessly, getting all beat up, back and forth...OUCH!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mrfritz44

It's posts like this that keep me from getting lazy - every once in a while I get tempted to leave the harness behind.

A little tip for those who have the antiquated 4-point harness that come with most stands today:

Mark the inside of the "X" on the harnessthat goes across your back. Reach for this part of the harness when picking it up and orient that X towards your back as if you were putting on a coat. The thing magically seems to fall into place. So simple, but saves some time in the morning when getting up that tree is foremost in your mind.
Thats all I use, they take sometime getting used to but well worth the practice. I can simply pick mine up and slip it on wiht out worrying about if its twisted or tangled. Its becom a second nature.These kinds are now comming with Quick Release Clips designed for climbing. I use it all the time in my climber and while hanging stands.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your a lucky man! I climb trees for a living and I had a tendency not to bring my wanna be harness that came with my Lone Wolf stand unless I was hunting all day.I have a slight case of the nods on all day hunts. But today I went and got a Hunters Safty System harness. It's the real deal, nice and easy to put on and take off! I love it except for that noisymetal buckle on the tree strap but I replaced it with the strap from my other harness whichhas a much quieterplastic buckle. Now I have complete confidence in my safty! I'm set.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I'm still looking for somthing that you can wear while going up and down the tree. A recent deer and deer hunting servay found that thats when most falls happen. I just wonder why no one makes somthing for that.
Seat-O- Pants by Summit makes their saftey harness with a linemans rope system that you can use while you climb. This is one of the most comfortable harnesses you can have on if you ever fall.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:11 PM

You are lucky my friend!

I use my harness that came as part of my Summit stand. One time I ascended into my stand without my harness on as we were doing a drive and I was posting. I figured why bother with a safety harness when I would be in the stand of less than 45 minutes. Thankfully, I never fell but let me tell you...I was very nervous in the stand without the safety harness on me. I just didn't feel comfortable or confident in my position without the harness. I use it all the time now. haha...in fact I used it last Thursday when climbing on my roof to clean my wood stove chimney!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get a kick out of the psychological impact of wearing a harness. If I am in a hang on stand and fairly high, I stand with my toes on the edge and never grab on all day. If I don't have the harness on, I find myself holding on to the tree all day. That in itself is reason enough to wear one...CONFIDENCE. (The safety issue is a good reason too, do it for your family)

Quick Reply: Fell out of treestand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.