Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you take a free hunt at King Ranch? >

Would you take a free hunt at King Ranch?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
85.93%
No
14.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Would you take a free hunt at King Ranch?

Old 10-23-2005, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Would you take a free hunt at King Ranch?

BawanaJim:

Shooting deer that can not escape an enclosure is not fair chase hunting .Shooting penned deer is wrong
Your right shooting any "penned" animal is wrong. That why canned hunting is ILLEGAL in Texas. But most Texans and politicans known and can tell the difference between a multithousand acre ranch that has an 8foot fence compared to a 1 acre pen that has old circus animals walking around.

Shooting deer from a truck window is wrong no matter where you are ,it is wrong.
You might be suprised by how many antelope out west are killed from the cab of a truck. And besides most of us Texans dont shoot "OUT OF OUR WINDOW" unstead we have a hyrack or top drive mounted on the cab of the truck, big difference . But thats not just a Texas thing, people in Mexico and Arizona do it for muledeer and couses deer. Top drives and hyracks stay......

Baiting a white tailed deer is not right.Baiting waterfowl was outlawed a long time ago becase it creates birds to easily killed,it is time to outlaw baiting deer also.
Look where talking about deer, not a federal law about birds. And where you arefrom baiting deer is not legal and you've probably have never done it or have any knowledge about it. Sprinkling out some corn on a sendero before climbing up into your stand has and always will be a Texas tradition, just like killing nubbing bucks is a PA tradition. Baiting in the Lone Star state will never be illegal, nor should it be, trust me on that one...

There is very little public land in Texas so anyone that wants to hunt has to pay these fees,
Texas has always been a private state, and thats something where proud of. The only people who complain are the guys who dont own any land or have anywhere to hunt, sorry but thats not our fault. The land of Texas is owned by the people, meaning the people ACTUALLY own it, not just borrow it like you find in states with public lands. I think the whole "public land system" is great but I think the private land system is even better and is what the country is suppose to be all about. Personally I think the public land in this country is very similar to the wealthfare system. Sorry but give me private land over public ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.........

Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Another thing, this thread asked "WOULD YOU TAKE A FREE HUNT ON THE KING RANCH".

It did not ask if your poor, or if you need to sale your house to pay for a hunt on this ranch, or if you only hunt public land and hold some type of grudge against private land. A hunt on this ranch is as good as it gets for whitetails, just like a hunt on the White mountain Apache reservation is as good as it gets for elk. An elk hunt on the reservation brings about $25,000 for the top end animals, which is alittle more then what the King ranch gets for their top end animals. And the King ranch is 825,000 acres which is big enough to be an indian reservation

I bet if I posted a question asking "Would you take a free hunt on the White Mountain Apache Reservation" I wouldnt get nearly the type of responses thatthis threadhas gotten. Which dosent really have much to do with the ranch, it has todo with the grudgesome of ya'll hold againstTexas. WhichI simply find funny
Old 10-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

aggihunter asked a question. I answered it.Everthing I said is the truth. Some people are hunters some are not.The hunters know the differance.

You think shooting a deer out of pen under a corn feeder from your truck is hunting , I don't.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:03 PM

Bawana:

You think shooting a deer out of pen under a corn feeder from your truck is hunting , I don't
Your the only one who is talking about shooting penned deer, out a window, from a truck. What does any of this have to do with the original question of this thread? If your one of these old timer self appointed pro's and ethical police who only hunts on public land and who dosent do anything for the habitat or wildlife other then set up a tree stand on weekends and kills the first buck that walks by, that is fine (I guess). But please spare me all of your ethics and beliefs which are simply based on the area your from and how you where born and raised. Who cares if baiting in your area is illegal, the King ranch is not located in your county.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Ya'll got to realize that most of the replies are what they perceive to be "PC Correct" responses. Most every hunter I know would enjoy the opportunity to wander in different terrain and have a go at the unknown. All the injection of feeder talk, genetically grown deer etc etc is nothing more than PC Correct back up info. The question wasn't "would you be lead by the nose to shoot a monster in a cage or at dinner time". I figure that somewhere in nearly a million acres I could find a little place to have a few moments of "Miller Time" all by myself. That's really what it's all about. It's suppose to be fun... not my hunting is real hunting and yours is immoral. Someone ask, "What's really wrong with Texas, I kind of like it". YOu know, I do too. It was where I learned to bow hunt in 1971. My son was born at Brooks Army Hospital. My wife and I bought our first home on Dan Duryea drive in San Antonio. It was a brand new rancher and cost right at $28,000. Heck, my recent truck purchase listed for more than that. I used to have free roam of a couple "Ranchettes" north of San Antonio and a 2,000 acre rice farm outside of Houston for Goose hunting. Also had a friend with a 20,000 acre place above Austin that I got to hunt free if I chose to make the trip. YUP, I have lots of fond memories of Texas, not the least of which was the road system. Best in the country. Yes sir, I kind of like the place. I have a standing invitation to go out near Bryan and thin a herd of Axis that have taken up residence on a friends land. His family doesn't hunt and really don't want hunters running all over the place. He doesn't want to let people he doesn't know in so I have a standing invitation to come out with my BOW ONLY and shoot until I run out of arrows. I would have made it this fall if my wife hadn't come down sick. There will be other days. When I finally do make it I plan to invite a couple Texans from the board to participate. That way there would always be some herd control going on.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Aggiehunter
[quote]I guess I dont understand whats so bad about Texas, someone please explain! I love this state, and if you dont wanna visit, well thats your choice.[quote]
[/quote/aggihunter asked a question. I answered it.Everthing I said is the truth. Some people are hunters some are not.The hunters know the differance. [quote/You think shooting a deer out of pen under a corn feeder from your truck is hunting , I don't.[quote]

This guy asked a question & I answered it .If you take offence in howit apears to others the way youhunt maybe you should change the way you hunt.If you are not ashamed then have fun.
By the way I do own a fair piece of PA,and I have some tree stands also.If you ever think that you would like to try deer hunting,give me a call your more than welcome,I won't even charge the price of a new Chevy truck if you happen to shoot one,up here we still do it for free!

Old 10-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point exactly. You, being the idiot you are, do not know the difference between taking advantage of nature, and an artificial advantage.
I would like to think bowhunters are a little more sophisicated than your normal hick with a gun, but you prove quite the contrary.
Truthfully, the only "gun"I own is a muzzleloader. I'm a bow hunter only. And the last time I checked, nature very rarely has cornfields, clover, or alphalfa fields pop up. Its no different if I put up a feeder to draw deer out of the incredibly dense brush, or if you hunt within 2 miles of a cornfield. The next time you shoot a deer, if you even have shot a deer, open up its stomach and I garuntee you will find some type of cash crop in its stomach.

I am not a native Texan, in fact this is only my first year living down here. Its really very similar to hunting in WV, except the "feeders" are cornfields, etc. Lets face it, who cares if we hunt deer overa feeder. We are predators, not elitest. You go and hunt your barren foodless woods, and I'll hunt my food plots, feeders, watering tanks, and whatever else I feel the urge to legally hunt over.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You wouldn't need to ask twice.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Being from Texas and being 17 years old, I have not once experienced all the myths spread about this state. You said that my dad buys me a deer, and that when I grow up I'll buy my son deer. This could not be farther from the truth, last year, I sat in a blind for over forty days, and come the end of the season the only animal I harvested was a 3 point cull buck. No huge 12 point paid for by my parents, but rather a well earned animal. I have yet to shoot at a deer out of the cab of a truck and have never seen it done, and I have been hunting since I was 5. As for private land, yes thats true, we lease out the property we use, but have strict rules, no deer less than 8 points, and leads to managed land with larger deer. Just because we dont hunt public land doesnt mean a thing. Yes, feeding deer corn in Texas is legal, but its not like we sit 5 feet away, nailing the first thing that walks by. Rather, we set up a coupla' hundred yards away on a trail. This is no more 'poaching' than setting up on the edge of an aot field, deer need to eat, it doesnt matter if it was planted or dropped on the ground. Never have hunted on high fenced land and dont plan on it.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:14 PM

Aggiehunter, I see your from Round Rock, have you ever heard or used Chance Love Taxidermy out of Round Rock. I've heard his work is really good and was just wondering if you've ever been in his studio or anything.

Quick Reply: Would you take a free hunt at King Ranch?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.