HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would you take a free hunt at King Ranch?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Aggiehunter

Default RE: Would you take a free hunt at King Ranch?

Being from Texas and being 17 years old, I have not once experienced all the myths spread about this state. You said that my dad buys me a deer, and that when I grow up I'll buy my son deer. This could not be farther from the truth, last year, I sat in a blind for over forty days, and come the end of the season the only animal I harvested was a 3 point cull buck. No huge 12 point paid for by my parents, but rather a well earned animal. I have yet to shoot at a deer out of the cab of a truck and have never seen it done, and I have been hunting since I was 5. As for private land, yes thats true, we lease out the property we use, but have strict rules, no deer less than 8 points, and leads to managed land with larger deer. Just because we dont hunt public land doesnt mean a thing. Yes, feeding deer corn in Texas is legal, but its not like we sit 5 feet away, nailing the first thing that walks by. Rather, we set up a coupla' hundred yards away on a trail. This is no more 'poaching' than setting up on the edge of an aot field, deer need to eat, it doesnt matter if it was planted or dropped on the ground. Never have hunted on high fenced land and dont plan on it.