Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Full moon effect? >

Full moon effect?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Full moon effect?

Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Full moon effect?

I know with a full moon that the deer feed differently during the day. Last friday as it was getting closer to the full moon, the deer were out everywhere at like 3:00 pm. This morning I got to get out but did not see any deer. I have never been skunked at this place until today. My question is how does the full moon effect the morning hunt? Could they see me better coming in or something? I am stumped.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Full moon effect?

You'll get mixed comments and thoughts on this topic. Its a good question but Im not 100% convinced either way on. I would tend to think that on clear nights just the extra light may make them move later in the evening but like I said, no ones ever convinced me 100% as Ive seen deer not move one night and be allout inthe fields early right during a full moon phase.Others say its more than the moon's bright light and more about the lunar phases and such. When you find out please let me know
Old 10-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Altho deer can see in the dark, they can see better with more available light. They already feel less "hunted" at night so add that with the ability to see extra well andthey're on their feet all night!! By the time daylight hitsthey're ready to bed down. Midday is the time to hunt on a full moon. I've seen it time and time again, altho temp and hunting pressure plays a role, I usually bank on the moon every time. For example, on Nov. 2 there is a new moon expect to see alot of deer movement all day,on Nov. 16 when the full moon hits, midday will be the time to hunt.

Like Diesel said, They'll be alot of diff. answers. And I've studied up onit only to find alot of opinion and less fact. This is just the best I can gather mixed with my own personal experience.
Remember, deer are probablythe most unpredictable animals out there, so maybe there is no 100 percent answer. Good Luck!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:06 AM

thanks antlergetter, i now live in fairfax county virginia. How close is that to bland county? your post sounds true to what i have seen and i might have to take off those days to hunt. thanks!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:53 AM

Here in Illinois with the full moon and the unseasonably high temps deer movement is all kinds of screwed up
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

so why mid day? I didn't go out this a.m. because it was like daylight here. I have a spot in a bedding area, is this a good mid day stand, and how long do you stay?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:11 AM

hoyt, I live in fairfax, va now. Same thing, I am hunting a bedding area. yesterday morning, I got to my stand and I didn't jump or spook any deer. Heard one thing that sounded like a deer working a rub but not very long. might give it a try later in the week once eveything settles down. Need a hunting buddy out there in winchester?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The full moon can effect us adversely sometimes. When we have snow, then a clear night with the full moon will realy have the deer on the prowl at night. But, usaully with that same cycle they will move more at mid-day because of of being up all night and then hungry again. Usually, first light and last light are the best with that scenario...but like others, you just never know for 100% what it will do.