Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 snagged 2 guys using my stands today,and im the jerk???? >

snagged 2 guys using my stands today,and im the jerk????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

snagged 2 guys using my stands today,and im the jerk????

Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: snagged 2 guys using my stands today,and im the jerk????

i agree that you could have probably handled the kid better...it wasn't his fault it was his dads.
the dad knew it was wrong so he's the one who should have got the butt chewin'.
so what's going to happen now? did they sell the land to a developer? hopefully you won't have any more issues with those guys but stay level headed (and in your truck) if you do run into them.

and i'm not crackin' on you by saying that you could have handled the kid better....it's just my opinion because he's just a kid...the dad was truly at fault...hope you can see my point without wantin' to tear me a new one.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

my neighbor/hunting buddy has been hunting one woods for years before anyone else was alowed in it and knew where the deer's trail was year after year and this fall when he went to put his stand up someone had put a stand in the tree he had hunted so he set up down this trail just a little farther but this guy must have seen the stand and broke one of his tree steps off so he couldn't get in his stand but he always carries extra so he was ok
also the first year i was hunting my uncles own some nice woods in my area and there are usually nice bucks year after year because they are not severely pressured but this kid that lives in town and goes to my school has a dad that hardly ever asks for permission to hunt always shoots nice bucks because of this stalked down this creek and found a huge 11 point buck that i had seen earlier in the summer and was after but he took it in the youth season because his dad told him to trespass with him onto private property and took this buck that should never have been taken by either of them but they don't get caught and always shoot these deer now this year i have 2 deer that i would mount because they are once in a lifetime bucks but supposedly this guy has seen them down the creek from these woods so i will have to try and get this buck or catch him tresspassing before he harvests this one from me
Old 10-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally understand you're frustration and i've been there, but you gotta understand the kid was only doing what his dad told him. It's totally the dad's fault. Try not to blame the kid, I know it's hard, but i'm sure the only reason he sat there is cause his dad said "let's go hunting" and the kid was all revved up. He may not have even known he was sitting in your stand, for all he knew his dad prolly told him it was his. I'd of just beat the ---- out of the dad and that's it. Good luck with it though, hopefully you get it worked out. If not call the DNR they'll take care of it.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Intresting thing happened to me also. While hunting in N.C. on a cold frosty morning I rode my bike to my treestand about 2 miles in the forest on a closed to off roadmotor traffic. As I rode my bike in at about half an hour before sunrise I noticed some other bike tracks in the frost. I noticed a bike where I usually put mine and hiked to my stand following a set of footprints in the frost. AsI get to my stand there is this guy sitting in it and I walk to him on a still,wet and foggy, morning. I approached him with my 870 over my shoulder and he was waving me off. I walking towards him like a man on a mission. I asked him, "what are you doing in my stand"? He said 'this isn't your stand, this is my friends stand and he put me in it"? I said, " I don't think so and your going to have to leave. At this point, the morning hunt is already blown and I'm pissed. I'm within 15 yrds of him and he said something esle negatory about coming down. I noticed he had a rifled scope laying across his lapp, at that time I demanded him to get the hell out of my stand, NOW !!!! I punch the safteyon the 870 so loud he could hear it as Icraddled it to my chest waiting for his move. If I'm not going to hunt out of it he sure as hell won't. Deer or no deer. After a brief moment he grabbed his back pack and climbed down onMY screw in tree steps. I was so pissed andasI watched him go out of sight, I climbed the tree and pulled my stand. I was hunting this special buck for 2 seasons. That really sucked.
I don't really mind him hunting my stand (maybe)if I'm not there, but don't tell me its your stand and continue hunting out of it. That dog ain't going to hunt.

Bobby >>>======ELITE 8 REPEAT========>
Old 10-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea. i know exactly what you mean. only thing is that im the land owner. ive had guys on my land say that they had permission from the land owner. other than me its my dad and he didnt give em permisssion cuz i am and avid hunter and hes not so he tells everyone to talk to me about it. all i said was i am the land owner and dont appricate being lied to and said i dont want to see them around here agin. good thing i caught them. that was a good spot and one of my fam members ended up takin a buck with a 17" spread and real tall tines.. the nerve of some ppl.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm within 15 yrds of him and he said something esle negatory about coming down. I noticed he had a rifled scope laying across his lapp, at that time I demanded him to get the hell out of my stand, NOW !!!! I punch the safteyon the 870 so loud he could hear it as Icraddled it to my chest waiting for his move. If I'm not going to hunt out of it he sure as hell won't.
And your damn lucky we weren't reading about the 2 of you in a news story...........[:-]
Why does everything have to go right to gun safeties and threats? I understand the frustration and feeling of being wronged but for cryin' out loud these aren't paintball guns we're carrying.
Snapping off a safety takes things to a whole new level, and what's gonna happen the next time when the other guy calls your bluff?

Easy solution to the problem is to engrave your name on the bottom of the stand...under the seat on the frame.
So the next time someone pulls the "No it's my buddies stand" it'll be as simple as........."Look under the seat, read the name, get down, have a nice day."

To everyone.........Think before you become a statistic.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally would have gotton name and indentification for the dad. Name only for the kid. Pressed charges on the dad. Let the kid go, but it would definitly scare him.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, maybe not the right approach and wouldn't recommend it for some, but when someone steals something from me I take it very serious and also as a threat. Weather it be a tree stand or a cooler from my truck or a back pack thatI may left on the ground, or a stereo from my home, if you steal from me and I have a weapon in my hand, there could be a possible problem. I don't believe for one minute he had a friend that showed him my stand, I believe he was a thief and he was fortunate he didn't bluff me and try to take what is mine. It was not a good scene to be in and I don't like being in those circumstances either, as this is what actually happened. I'm not going to look the other way saying I wish I would have recorded my serial numbers and walk away. I had to deal with the situation at that time. Its easy to sit back in a room relaxed and properly anayalis a situation and say that this is the right approach as opposed to actually comfronting it in a surprised confrontation.

Bobby

Old 10-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

wow kinda hard on the kid I am sure he was only doing what his father told him to do. But I do agree with you about them being your stands.

One question were they bowhunting? If so the kid needs to be 14 years old to hunt in NY.

Also in NY the bow doesn't have to be 45lbs.

Bow-

Long (stick), recurve or compound bow with a draw weight in excess of 35 pounds. A legal arrowhead is non-barbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7/8 inches wide.

Here is the link if you don't believe me.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/legalimp.html

Old 10-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with #1 predator on this ,the kid is only hunting with his dad and has no idea that the stand's belong to anyone else ,soI don't believe it's his fault at all .I have to sympathiize with this juvenile to a point .Hopefully he totally understand's your position and is a little more aware next time .I'd of appreciated the young fella's apolagy and I'd of explained it to him why your upset .
But then again, I also understand your position in all of this ,I would have definately held his father 100% responsible for his action's . I know trespasser's don't usually give a rat's a>> about who's property they trespass on or who's stand's they steal or use ,so I certainly agree with your stand on him. I'm just afraid the kid had no idea of what was going on in the least. At least the kid was brought up somewhat right to have the sense to say he was sorry ,but then that's up to you whether you believe him or not .

nubo

Quick Reply: snagged 2 guys using my stands today,and im the jerk????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.