Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Son's first Treestand experiance >

Son's first Treestand experiance

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Son's first Treestand experiance

Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Son's first Treestand experiance

Man, what an awsome feeling!!
I hunted Saturday Morning through the wind is SE PA and after 11:30 decided to give up hunting from a treestand and do some scouting. Found an awsome spot with tons of sign that just begged to be hunted. The tree I wanted to get into would require a hang on stand and I didn't have mine with me, so I planned on coming back in on Sunday to hang stand and clear lanes if necessary. I'm out of town this weekend so there's a 2 week period for things to calm down before going back in.
Anyway, I went back in on Sunday with my 6 yr old son and my father-in-law to hang the stand and get it ready. After getting the stand up my son wanted to get into it with me. So with all safety in mind we strapped him up with a climbing harness and a rope tied to it long enough for me to hang onto from my stand. He went right up the tree with no problems and hoped right into my stand with me. My father-in-law followed him up the tree while I held the rope to make sure he was safe, but he never needed any help, except for some guidance in foot placement. The stand is in a hemlock, so most of the climb is on existing branches and not steps.
After he got into my stand with me, all he could say was "Wow, how soon do I get to hunt with you like this".
MAN, talk about making Dad proud (if it doesn't show)!! Can't wait till he is legal age to get out with me!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:11 PM

Default RE: Son's first Treestand experiance

Sounds like you will soon have a hunting buddy for life.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:26 PM

Default RE: Son's first Treestand experiance

thats called making memories. . just keep up the teaching and it want be long before you got a real partner.

and no I can't tell your proud.