Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 6 years and sill nothing >

6 years and sill nothing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

6 years and sill nothing

Old 10-12-2005, 08:43 AM

Default 6 years and sill nothing

I cant say theat I have never had the oppertunity to shoot one. In fact last year opening day of shotgun I had one within 20 yards......I know, I Know. It was my first year with my gun and I forgot to chamber a shell!!!!
my first bowhunting experience was cruel as well. I had a TROPHY buck RIGHT under my stand. I grunted him in. He had a little scrapper with him. I was shaking so bad........as I drew on him, my finder slipped and released the arrow about 50 yards into the air. But that only told him where I was. He stayed almost till dark looking at me and stomping and grunting. I didnt want him to see me get another arrow out so I just sat there calling myself every name in the book.

This year, first day hunting, I had a nice buck walk by on the wrong side. The next day another walked straight at me so I didnt take a shot. Then a spike walked by me a few days later. I took his pic. Is this the only chance I will get!!! NO!!! I had ANOTHER really nice buck walk just out of range two days ago. I almost druled on myself [X(] We moved my stant to the back of our land right over the trail hbe used and hope I will get at least a shot at him. K, my question is. (I have never shot my bow sitting down.) Is ita lot different than standing up and what do you say. Is it bad to sit and shoot???? I obviously need help when it comes to KILLING a buck so any advise would be apprechiated. No help on spelling please LOL
Old 10-12-2005, 08:50 AM

Default RE: 6 years and sill nothing

OK first of you need to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. No really everyone makes bad shots. If you want to shoot sitting down then just grab a chair and go out side a shoot sitting down. Then you will know just how well you can shoot sitting down. Well it sounds like you have a great spot to hunt with a lot of bucks so you should have no problem getting them in close once the rut starts going. But the main thing is you can never practice enough. I try to shoot my bow every day, and about 30 arrows per day at that. Now im not saying shoot you bow every day, shoot as much as you can. I am in college and can shoot my bow every day because i have a lot of time on my hands. So go out there and get those big bucks. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:51 AM

I don't know what advise to give you but kudos on sticking with hunting after 6 years of being shutout.

That will make the first deer you get feel even more fantastic.

Good Luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 AM

You definately need to practice sitting down before you shoot a deer that way. For me it seems like the torque on my back is different than when I am standing.

As far as going 6 years and still no deer. Keep you chin up. It will happen and when it does it will be that much sweeter.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't kill a deer with my bow until my tenth season...missed a couple of years with college and missed one due to an injury. Once I got the first one.....it got much easier to realx and enjoy hunting w/o any pressure to kill one. Good luck to you.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

I went boar hunting this summer in Fl and the stand I was sitting in kept me sitting up straight and my target was on my right. (Im a lefty). When the boar came walking past I didn't have time to stand and didn't want to be seen so I just drew and shot. I saw no difference but I would practice sitting and shooting if I were planning on doing it a lot.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:02 AM

Just to make you feel better, a friend of mine has been bowhunting for 9 years w/ nothing to show for it!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:07 AM

That's why it's called hunting and not killing. Keep at it. I feel confident that as persevering as youhave been that it will all be worth it when you get 'ol mossyhorns. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: shootnmiss
As far as going 6 years and still no deer. Keep you chin up. It will happen and when it does it will be that much sweeter.
6 years? Hey, I don't feel so bad... This only is my 4th year with zero success (so far).
I know exactly how you feel though.... I got "buck fever" really bad last season when I had a beautiful 8 pointer come sneaking in behind me from 20 yards away (another hunter spooked him and he tore off up the ridge, leaped over the trail, and landed 20 yards behind me). I don't know who was more startled, him or me! Long story short, I went to full draw when he put his head down to sniff for danger, but I started shaking so bad and had my heart in my throat, I couldn't even think... I ended sailing the arrow right over his back from 20 yards away! Man, I was just sick for weeks over that! [&o][:-][:'(]

Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I practice sitting and shooting, really helped but its not that easy unless you are either tall or, you have a short axled bow. With a short bow its really easy to draw sitting down. Also, you may have trouble if you are one of the "my bow shoots 1,278fps" guys and have your bow cranked up to "did you eat yourWheaties today"Icankill deer all day long with 60#-65#s which is easy to drawwhile sitting.

Quick Reply: 6 years and sill nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.