Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Golf vs. Hunting >

Golf vs. Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Golf vs. Hunting

Old 10-08-2005, 04:47 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default Golf vs. Hunting

Golf vs. Hunting[/b]
Let’s compare:

Golf
The hole is always a known distance away.
The hole is always visible because is has a nice flag waving over it.
The course is always nearly flat.
There are always either 18, or sometimes 9, holes.
Many courses offer carts to drive you from hole to hole.
"Hazards" on a golf course consist of artificial sand traps and ponds.
Every hole always ends in success, even if it takes 10 strokes.
You can take your sweet time teeing off on every hole.
There is always a cold beer waiting at the "19th hole" (the clubhouse bar).
You never get dirty playing golf.
You don’t play golf in bad weather.
If you get bloody, you've done something terribly wrong.

Hunting
The hole (the wild game) is never a known distance away (unless you use a rangefinder, a relatively modern device).
The hole moves around randomly and constantly.
The hole can see you, smell you, and hear you.
The hole runs away and/or hides when it sees you, smells you, or hears you.
There might not be even a single hole on the entire course, but you don’t know that.
If you are lucky, you might have 5 seconds to judge the distance, get into your stance, and tee offon the one and only hole of the entire day.
If you don’t get a hole-in-one on the first hole you find, you often don’t get any more holes for the entire course.
The course is almost never flat.
A cart doesn’t haul you from hole to hole.
Hazards consist of poisonous snakes, mountain lions, grizzly bears, steep cliffs, unstable footing, and getting seriously lost.
Most hunts end in failure (if “failure” is defined as always getting a hole).
There are no cold beers waiting, unless you bring them.
You almost always get dirty and sweaty while hunting.
Bad weather is often the best time to hunt.
If you get bloody, you've probably done something right.

So tell me, which is more manly and challenging – hunting or golf????
Old 10-08-2005, 04:57 PM

Default RE: Golf vs. Hunting

golf is by far more challanging
i play just about every single sport and i have been playing golf sence i was 6 and i can tell you their is no sport harder. did you ever try walking on a golf course and see what you shoot? now no it isn't challanging to get a 140 but when you get good it is always a challange to shoot par or sub par. i haven't played many courses that are flat. in tourniment play you have to carry your own clubs which isn't hard but why don't you put a 70 pound weight on your back and then walk 3,500 yards and see how easy it is.
-hunting is very hard also and it is more "manly" however do you know how many people go out and shoot a buck or doe without scouting or really praticing with their equipment? lots. many people who have never hunted before shoot deer. once in a while they get a big one. - if in golf you don't pratice i would like to see how many pars you get "shooting a doe" then see how many get a birdie "getting a buck" how many eagles "getting a big buck"
i could go on and on but do you see what i am saying it is much harder to be good at golf then be a good hunter besides i think any day in the woods is a great day
Old 10-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

You never get dirty playing golf.
You don’t play golf in bad weather.
If you get bloody, you've done something terribly wrong.
Speak for yourself.[:-]

Actually it's amazing the similarities between bowhunting and golf. Perhaps the biggest factor in both is "TARGET". Precision and focus on your target.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:04 PM

I've been plenty dirty playing golf. and a lot drunker than i'll ever be hunting. gotta love public courses.

you go hunting and never take a shot, it's okay. go golfing and never swing a club, you're a moron that wasted his money. you are guaranteed a challenge every time you golf.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I hunt on golf courses. Both sports are very compatible. Yes I have enjoyed a limo ride in a golf cart to and from my stand with or with out my deer. In fact many of times, we wish each good luck on the fairway. I played both and stick to poolifa ball is involved. Hunting is by far easier.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cant eat the white ball
Old 10-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never got into golf. Seems lame.

Plus, I go to church on Sundays.

Plus, I'd probably not be good at it and get frustrated.

Plus, it seems as though "elites" play golf. Maybe someday when I'm rolling in the dough I'll play golf...

Yeah, on the other hand...probably not...
Old 10-09-2005, 04:58 AM

I play golf for my high school, hunting is by far easier, I have golfed for 4 years on the team, my 4th season just ended. It is hard to comepete with the elites of Northen IL, the kids who have the dough and have had every PGA Techer available, especially since in my conference my school has the lowest enrollment, some of the other schools like Geneva and Batavia have 3 times the amount of kids.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jeff K

I play golf for my high school, hunting is by far easier, I have golfed for 4 years on the team, my 4th season just ended. It is hard to comepete with the elites of Northen IL, the kids who have the dough and have had every PGA Techer available, especially since in my conference my school has the lowest enrollment, some of the other schools like Geneva and Batavia have 3 times the amount of kids.
Dude You need to come visit me , First off you got county like this Then you gotta hunt it like thisThen if your lucky enuff to see thesesYou got shoot one and pack it out like thisAll the time fighting off theseI don't know if you have really been hunting?????
Old 10-09-2005, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is hard to comepete with the elites of Northen IL, the kids who have the dough and have had every PGA Techer available,
Money can't compete with talent. One good thing about golf is you can't flat out buy a golf swing. You can drop all the money there is in lessons, but you have to have some natural ability to excell at golf.

Quick Reply: Golf vs. Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.