Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Golf vs. Hunting >

Golf vs. Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Golf vs. Hunting

Old 10-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Golf vs. Hunting

I've deliberately broken golf equipment........I've never even considered damaging any hunting equipment. That about says it all for what I consider tougher to master. (For a competitve guy like me anyway)

Many of us probably have what it takes to become a "World Class' hunter if provided the prime locations that many hunting "Stars" own, use and employ............damn few of us have the skills to be a single digit handicap in golf. Actually when you consider the number of guys who actually play golf, the number who actually have the talent to be 'World Class" is just a hair above zero.

This thread reminds me.........I have to fish 1/2 of a putter out of the bottom of my bag.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

there's a bit more at stake with bowhunting. you miss a shot in golf, you get another and no big deal.
Get another no big deal? How about winning or losing thousands of dollars with every swing or every 10 foot putt?[:-]

Actually your statement is the exact opposite mindset you need to excel at golf. You have to practice and play like there is no mulligan. There is no 2nd shot. Practice and play every shot like you're in contention at the 72nd hole of the US Open.
The focus, patience, and discipline required to play golf really coorelates to bowhuning in a beneficial way IMO. Target interaction!!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

10-4
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter
You have to practice and play like there is no mulligan. There is no 2nd shot.
There's always room for mulligans. Just swingwhen nobody is looking! Imagine yourself 20 yards from the green right behind a sand trap. You use a nice 58* lofted wedge to plop the ball right up over the trap and gently drop it on the green near the cup. Now, if you duff the shot, it's okay.... pick the ball up out of the sand trap, and put it back where it was and try again. Nobody will say a thing! ....Trust me!
{NYBH reaches through his monitor and goes "<SLAP> Dumba$$!!!" }

Actually, in all seriousness, golf and bowhunting do have a lot in common. The technique and demand for accuracy is vitally important. I love both golf and bowhunting, and am a way better shot at archery than I am at golf.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

not all of us are PGA professionals and putt for thousands of dollars or hundreds for that matter. simple point: I (or most regular joes) miss a putt, a 7 iron, a drive, etc. IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL - I wound a deer with a poor shot, i'm regretting that forever. golf is a game, hunting is a life and death thing (at least for the deer)
Old 10-11-2005, 07:33 PM

doughboysigep- i lipped out a 7ft birdie putt to miss the cut byone strokefor the third day of golf districts. no it wasn't $100,000 on the line but damn iam still mad about missing it.
i never got lessions in golf, i'm 15 and i have a 6 handicap so i guess you could say i somewhat good. i love to hunt i love to fish i love to play baseball but i can tell you i'm best on a golf course. i mean i am okay in baseball, this year i will be the starting shortstop in JV and maybe play some varsity 2nd base. but golf has always come the easiest to me. but don't get me wrong i pratice everynight and play about 3 or 4 times a weekso i work hard for it.

like i said before GOLF IS THE HARDEST SPORT TO PLAY AND BE GOOD IN.