Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 All by myself... >

All by myself...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All by myself...

Old 10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: All by myself...

it's the coyotes I think that terrify me the most, had one staring at me across the street once and nearly had to change my pants! They are eery...
BHG,

The last thing you need to worry about are coyotes, You should try hunting them...BIG FUN.

I remember I time when a buddy of mine had a pup that would like to run away so heand had it leashedin the front yard ofhis cabin near the Mississippi river. Well his cabin sits on the edge of an open field, and that year it was planted with soy beans. It was late and we were on the back deck putting a few back when we hear his pup whining and yelping. At first we didn't think too much of it, him being a pup and all but after a while he wouldn't stop. So we went through the cabin and out the front door to where the dog was, turning on the front porch light as we went out. Well there must have been 20 sets of "eyes" in the bean field moving in on the pup!

We went in to get the guns but by then they had scattered.

The moral......unless you are a puppy don't worry about the song dogs they're harmless.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best thing I've found for confidense is a hands free hat mounted flashlight. leaves both hands free to shoot if needed.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

The best thing I've found for confidense is a hands free hat mounted flashlight. leaves both hands free to shoot if needed.
I use the head mounted lamps as well.. HUGE HELP.. I used to fear the woods when i was younger.. But thats because my dad would make me watch movies like Grizzly when i was like 5. Then when we went to maine after he did the last spring bear hunt in ME in like 80 (still 5).. I was afraid of bears.. He told me to wait by a tree because he wanted to look for something.. I freaked.. I mean I was there with mom but she wasnt a tough broad.. When i started hunting at 12.. i was still uneasy about walking in by myself.. Finally, just by sheer repitition you feel easier about things.. by the time i was 16 i walked in 2 miles in the pitch black. Its easier when you dont have to think about bears, mountain lions, or bobcats. Thats why i like where I am outside philly.. The only thing that i have to worry about is a tresspasser!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

they're right, mounted head lamps are the bomb. The first time I walked into the woods by myself I was 9 years old. I'm now 19, and don't even hesitate anymore. It'll go away with time, trust me, i don't think twice anymore!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still get the creeps once in a while. Not so much when I'm walking but rather once I've climbed into my stand and settled in. Often I usually have an hour before it starts to lighten up. Sitting there in the dark and hearing unfamiliar sounds can make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:31 PM

She is not back yet. Maybe the boogyman did really get her.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is normal to get nervous or scared! I did for years.. Now the only time I get nervous is when I am packing meat out of the mountains in the dark...
Steak Anyone??
Old 10-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

I was walking out to my stand a few years ago in the predawn darkness. I ran into a rutting buck that was thrashing around in the bush next to my stand. I was in the process of putting out doe sent and quickly decideed aginst it. It was stomping its feet and at one point I was holding my flashlight in my teeth and ready to draw my bow. That incident scared the gajeebizes out of me, I'm still afraid to walk around in the dark - but I'm starting to get over it. It jsut something you have ot overcome though expeierence. There is nothing to fear but fear its self (except for a rutting buck)
Old 10-07-2005, 08:46 PM

YEP ME TOO SOMETIMES I GET A LITTLE NERVIOUS CAUSE OF NOISES AND ALL THING THAT I GET ON MY HEAD ONCE I'M IN THE WOODS
ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

Hey, the darkisn't something that only women are afraid of; I know some guys that won't walk through the dark woods without apolicemen size Maglightguiding them to their tree!

I get a little nervous myself sometimes, and I've been walking to my spots alone for 12 years. New hunting spots do it to. A lot of it for me is the fact that I'm only carrying a bow, if I'm toting my rifle, I'll go anywhere in the dark. But yea, there's always noises and stuff that spook me, but I always try and tell myself "there's nothing out here that can eat me." I laugh about it, and carry on.

I will say that the scariest moment I had in the woods was hearing a bobcat crying. It scared me so bad, I left the woods, leaving behind the buck I shot, which was the first buck I ever took with a bow. I later returned with help.........."brave" help..
Old 10-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

These feelings you have are certainly normal.Our ability to see influences are comfort level and our fears of getting lost.As others have said there is nothing out there in the darkness that isn't there in the day light.There are things you can do to help yourself out.The use of a flash light,a strong beam one will bring you a lot of comfort because your being able to see so well.Putting bright eye's thumb tacks on your trail in to and out of your hunting area can help a lot,especially putting the tack or tacks on the tree you are hunting from.I don't know how many times I have scanned the sky with a flash light looking for my tree stand up in the tree's,very ofte when I was standing right next to the tree it was in.That's another thing relax,see the humor in your fears,it is kind of funny the things that you do when were afraid.
If you are walking significant distances you may want to become proficient with the use of a gps.I use them in big country all the time.They are awesome once you become comfortable withtheir use.
Lastly,you can do what I do when ever I fly,surrender your life to god!(only partially kidding!)Good luck and have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.