Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 All by myself... >

All by myself...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All by myself...

Old 10-08-2005, 07:45 AM

Default RE: All by myself...

I'm here, the boogeyman didn't get me.... I got out of the stand about 15 minutes before I should have, but I wanted to make sure I knew how to get back to the trail and I didn't want to try to find it in total darkness... I had an excellent hunt though, saw 4 does and 3 bucks, two of which were very nice. Everything was about 80-100 yds out though. Baby steps... Maybe tonight I will stay 5 or 10 minutes later.

About that rutting buck thing, my father in law once spilled doe pee all over himself and STILL went out. He was hunting from the ground, sitting against a tree and heard all this grunting and ruckus about 10 yards behind him, when he turned around, there was a buck snorting, stomping, grunting, head down, and started charging him... he turned around and shot the sucker in the chest as he was heading straight for his tree...

I don't mind being in my tree, I would sit there through the dark hours of the night if I could, I feel safe in my stand, just don't like being on the ground. It's okay, like I said, baby steps, eventually I will have the nerve to stay till dark.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:48 AM

Default RE: All by myself...

Like everybody else said, with a little repetition you'll be just fine. When my family moved to NC from AZ, I was scared stiff of the woods, because I had never seen them before. But now, well, earlier this week I slept on the ground a couple miles into the woods all night with just my bow. Heard some yotes taking down a deer, even, but it didn't faze me at all. I just rolled over and tried to find a softer spot in my backpack. ;-) Have fun!