Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 All by myself... >

All by myself...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All by myself...

Old 10-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All by myself...

I was in my stand until after dark the other night, actually had a friend who's house I was huntingnear call me wondering if he needed to look for me, lol. I told him im still in my tree, because I don't want to be caught packing up my stand at last light when the big boy comes walking by. When I did get down, thats when the coyote's started howling up a storm... I thought it was pretty cool. I think about the only thing I might be scared of in the dark woods may be accidentally disturbing a skunk! Okay, I did jump once when I flushed a grouse and it exploded practically under my feet, but that doesn't count, does it?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:58 AM

To mske light of this subject.Some of the stories about animals jumping up or flying cracks me up.I get nailed by quail every once in awhile.Had a owl swoop down close to me.Scared de chit out of me.We all get scared at times.I am a 36 yr old man and I still get the skin crawls at times.You just have to go on and do it.Like everyone said there isnt anything out there to go after you.So you have nothing to worry about.I like using a hat light so where you point your head the light will be.Then if you wish you can have a arrow nocked and be on the ready.If that makes you feel better.I tell my step son to do that and it has seemed to help.He doesnt say anything anymore about having to go out when I wont take him because I am hunting also.I just once would love to go out and scare the crap out of him but I am affraid he would shoot LOL.That would take care of being affraid of the dark easily.My Dad did it to me when I was a kid.Helped me get over my fear.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

I DO hate the morning darkness. I am very anxious when it comes to getting in the woods by myself in the am darkness. pm darkness is another thing altogether. for some reason, I don't mind it at all.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

You aren't the only one BHG. A buddy of mine, all 265 pounds of him hates to walk in or out in the dark. He always has to walk in with someone or he is out of the woods before it is even too dark to see. Get a good, high powered flashlight and it might help you feel a bit better.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just imagine how it feels to be blind, it's always dark. Personally I like the night. Especially if there's moonlight or snow. Seems kindof magical. Starlight is cool too. Use a flashlight and reflectors so you know exactly where you are.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks guys and gal... I am getting ready to head out, I'm all camoed up and ready to go... I found my flashlight, thank God! I thought I had lost it... I think I will be alright, I may get out there and have to sit in the "easy" stand depending on where the wind is blowing... it's a long haul to my stand, I may end up in my husbands... I would like to hunt mine, there's more activity there, but if the wind isn't in my favor, I may be able to sidestep the "walking through the woods"... I would like to get over it though, so I'm hoping I can hunt mine... all good advice, it's the coyotes I think that terrify me the most, had one staring at me across the street once and nearly had to change my pants! They are eery...
Old 10-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was never nervous last year, but i only gun hunted then. I guess I felt secure having the gun with me.
Well this year on my first bowhunt ever. I tried to get out to a spot in woods i had only been to once. While walking out i heard the loudest lowest pitch growl I have ever heard. By the way this was September 3rd in KY. NEW MOON, and no light.
Once i realized all I had was a bow, I about soiled the Hanes
Old 10-07-2005, 12:44 PM

obviously you're not alone with this subject BHG. my hunting buddy is always back at the truck long before i am for the same reason. of course i aggravate him about it, but it's all in good fun.
i'd bet that every bowhunter has had that feeling of being watched or followed or whatever in the dark, and freaked out by it, i know i have. also by critters that scurry off in a hurry when you come thru, grouse are the worst for that around here. but you just learn to deal with it. not to say it still doesn't happen, you just get used to it i guess.

-the cell phone or 2-way radio is a great idea, staying in contact with somebody makes you feelbetter,and you should always havea way to communicate with someone while out on your own anyway.

-i'd advise not to walk with an arrow knocked in case you stumble in the dark and fall, i'd hate to be injured from my own arrow. but i do keep my knife at easy access all the time

-i always carry a spare flashlight and batteries too, you don't want to be competely in the dark and be stumbling around or get lost or something

- my biggest worry is tracking, field dressing, and draggingin the dark. it's tough enough in the daylight sometimes, doing it in the dark can be a challenge.those dusk shots are better retrieved with someone's help if possible. there may be critters that will be aftera downed, or dressed deer and that could pose a problem. having some backup isn't a bad idea.

otherwise, anything out there is more likely more afraid of you than you should be of it.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I used to get the HebeeJeebees walking through the woods in the dark. The more you do it the easier it becomes. It's not that I was afraid of the Boogeyman, just a bit spooky and was petrified of getting lost. If I'm going to a spotI know how to get to...No problem. You will be fine!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Like you said after you do it a few times it will get easier. My wife doesn't mind walking out of the woods at night, but she doesn't like morning hunting alone. Go figure!!

I guess I was lucky I got broke of being scared of the dark early in my hunting career by my dad and uncle. The first time I went hunting in the morning they just pointed and said "your tree is that way" and off I went scared shat-less. I got over it quickly though and now it bothers me very little if any!!! I've even had my uncle jump out of the woods in the dark and scare me. He's lucky we where bow hunting or he might of had a slug in his arse!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.