Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting before rain... >

Hunting before rain...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting before rain...

Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Hunting before rain...

So, the guy I work with, says that hunting 12-18 hours before forecasted rain is a good time to hunt, anyone else agree, disagree, or have a good experience from this theory? I am trying to get him on this site, he just hasn't had time to register, but what do ya'll think about his theory, on, off, irrelevant, or what? He's harvested quite a few nice deer in his lifetime of hunting, so I believe him, just wanted other's opinions on this too...

I know I shot my first buck/deer in the rain, but that's the only experience I've had with it...
Old 10-05-2005, 12:14 PM

Default RE: Hunting before rain...

Cold Fronts do make them move a little more. I have seen them move some after a hard rain but I haven't really noticed any big movement in advance of an oncoming rain. Probably depends a lot on where you are hunting and the amount of pressure they get.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:28 PM

Default RE: Hunting before rain...

The idea is that animals can sense weather changes; therefore, if they feel a serious bout of weather (storms, snow, etc) coming on, they'll get out and feed so they won't go hungry while the storm's on. And it holds fairly well true, I'd say. If you see a blizzard or a tropical storm in the forecast, hunting the 12-24 hours before it wouldn't be a bad idea... as long as you time it right.