Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tonights hunt

Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Tonights hunt

No, I didnt kill anything but I have a story to tell. I decided to hunt a different spot since my current stand was not an evening stand. Hadnt seen anything sign there and only three does on Sat. morning. So I took a walk to a spot and sweated bullets and then decided I didnt want to hunt there. I started to go home since I was dripping wet but didnt.
I pulled up to another spot and sprayed myself really well. Got setup in my stand and waited. At about 6:30 I did a doe bleat and doe grunt. About 10 minutes later a 4 pointer shows up. The wind starts blowing his way and he looks right in my direction and acts like hes getting ready to jet. He doesnt though and puts his head down and was doing something but I cant see. I never got a clear shot but I thought it was pretty cool. He then left the way he came. I have a few questions.

1. Since he wasnt in the clear , should I have made a call?
2. Does it mean anything that he turned around and left the same way he came? Did I just get him off course?

I was pretty excited just to finally have some type of buck come in to me. Sorry for the long story.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tonights hunt

I wouldn't have called. He probably got enough of your scent to make him decide he didn't want to continue on his intended path, but not enough to make him flat out blow in your face.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 PM

I grunted when he was almost out of sight just to see if anything would happen. Can't wait to kill my first buck!
Old 10-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't have called. He probably got enough of your scent to make him decide he didn't want to continue on his intended path, but not enough to make him flat out blow in your face.
I would tend to agree. Calling to him after he seemed jittery probably would have only made the situation worse. I am guessing he sensed that something was wrong but not enough to get him scared enough to bolt.