Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to control buck fever >

How to control buck fever

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to control buck fever

Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 AM

Default How to control buck fever

I am 28 years old and still can't control myself when it comes time to shoot (doe or buck it doesn't matter). I have been hunting with the bow for 7 years now and have harvested 2 bucks and 2 does, while missing 2 eights, 1 six, and about 4 does. I know that sounds bad. I practice all of the time. I shot 300 shots over the past few months and never have missed the vitals on the 3D target. I never take a shot over 40 yds.

My question is how does everyone keep control over there emotions.I just get so nervous and really have trouble with my body shaking.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to control buck fever

Cant... ANd hope i never will... Takes the fun out of it
Old 09-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what I do, DONT LOOK AT THE HORNS!!!!!!! Does dont seem to bother me, I practice drawing on does so when I do get that buck in my sights I dont look at the horns and focus on vitals, sure ill shake a bit and get excited because I know its a buck, but if you dont look at the horns its like looking at a doe. Focus on the shot not the horns. Try drawing back on some does for a while to get yourself prepared. It really does help.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:20 AM

I have been archery hunting for 30 years and I still can't seem to not hurry the shot and really get a lot of buck fever. But, I agree with Trapper, in that if I didn't get excited and not react perfectly I wouldn't go hunting. Visualization has taught me some great lessons. I think it was Field & Stream or Peterson's hunting that had a great article on visualization. I read the same article about 10 years ago and it changed everything. Now I visualize my arrow slicing through the vitals and I truly have not missed a shot in the past 10 years. That adds up to about 12 deer in PA.

Good luck, keep shaking and dont sweat over it. You know it is just a deer and when you miss yo still get to hunt some more, unlike the successful hunters.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Dirz1...I believe my user name says it all. Over the years I've managed to calm down a bit more but but I realized that it's OK to get excited! That's part of the fun. When I stop getting excited I guess I'll put down the bow and and take up cooking or something else
Old 09-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I do is? I try to focus the one small part of the deer that I want hit. Like a hair or a small spot on the deer. It helps to takes my eye off the complete animal itself.
No offfense, butIt sounds as if maby your forgetting to aim when its times to shoot or maby pulling off very badly? I hope this helps good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I can say is practice. When I say practice I mean take as many does as possible. Shooting at targets and shooting at deer when your adrenaline is going is just different and the only way to get better at controlling your emotions and focusing on the shot is to practice it. So try to take as many does as you legally can with your bow in order to prepare yourself for the moment whena big one steps out. That's the one thing that I have found to help me more than anything.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would say that it goes away with time but apperantly with some it doesn't. I'm as cool as a cucumber until after the shot then the excitement takes over.I really don,t know what to suggest except be matter of fact and play what you want to do over and over in your head than try and do that when the deer comes in. Most of all tell yourself to squeeze the release slowly. When you miss it's because you are pulling the release fast ( anticipating the shot ) good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:44 AM

I think its impossible to control it ir eliminate. You have to just try and master your emotions enough to make the shot thenyou can shake rattle scream or whatever. That feeling you're experiencing is 90% of what keeps us going back over and over. I hope I never completely lose it
Old 09-27-2005, 07:09 AM

trick is you have got to treat the live deer just like that 3D foam one in the back yard. When you pratice you don't get exiceted.

so when you see a live one you have got to convice yourself it is just the foam 3D target.

then just execute your well praticed routine and lace that arrow right into the vitals. after that you can shake yourself right out of the stand but always after the shot.

I believe buck fever is the number on reason why hunters wound deer. Good luck with it...

Quick Reply: How to control buck fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.