Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer and Colors

Old 10-02-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Deer and Colors

Moved my ladder stand this weekend and decided to use a new ratchet strap going halfway down the ladder for extra stability. The only one I had or could find at the hardware store was yellow. No black ones in sight. Will this matter orstick out to deer? I seem to remember an article talking about how the only color that really sticks out like a sore thumb to deer is blue and that deer are the equivelant of red-green color blind, so colors like yellow, red, green are paler to them than we see. Plus the leaves are turning in our area and there are lots of yellow in the trees and on the ground. I'd paint it but think the smell of fresh paint might just make things worse.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Deer and Colors

I have used bright orange and red before.Didnt seem to matter at all.Just make sure you tie up up so it isnt flying around in the wind.As a matter of fact I have a florencent orange and red one on my stands right now.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 AM

Thanks Illinois Bowhuntin' I have it tensed up pretty tight so it shouldn't move much at all. I checked on that Ryan Kemp from Dubuque thing. Don't think I knew him and asked around and some friends thought he might have went to one of the public high schools. I went to the catholic school because we lived in Illinois and you couldn't open enroll anywhere but there.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Is the shiny metal of the rachet actually facing the deer or is at the back of the tree?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:27 PM

Neither. It is near the ladder but I've wrapped a few pieces of orange duck tape around it.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:39 PM

No, it shouldn't matter. I have also they can detect blue, but I don't think even blue stands out that much.