Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Huting in rain

Old 09-26-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Huting in rain

Do you guys stay home if its raining. If not how do you go about tracking? I ask this as I sit here watching it rain out of my office window. I would go with a gun but if I think the rain won't let up I have reservations about it due to the blood being washed away. Last year I shot a six point, perfect quatering away shot complete pass through. I came down and went to get a friend to help me retreive the deer. On our way back the bottom fell out . We got there to find no blood. Searched for 4 hrs to no avail. Came back the next day still no luck. A week later I saw some buzzards circling and went to have a look. The deer ran about 200 yard into a swamp that was inaccessible. Got some hip-boots and found the hornsMy best bow buck to this point. Now I kind have some heavy reservations about the rain.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Huting in rain

I dont like hunting in hard rain. But a slight drizzle or small shower i dont mind. Especially if i know its going to let up.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:32 PM

If it's a downpour, I have better things to do. If it's a light rain/drizzle you bet I'll be out there. If it is raining heavy and I know it's due to quit, I'll be ready and in position to get to my stand. I love being in the stand when the rain quits. The bucks will be moving and making the rounds to freshen up those scrapes. That's how I got my best buck.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: tech29er

If it's a downpour, I have better things to do. If it's a light rain/drizzle you bet I'll be out there. If it is raining heavy and I know it's due to quit, I'll be ready and in position to get to my stand. I love being in the stand when the rain quits. The bucks will be moving and making the rounds to freshen up those scrapes. That's how I got my best buck.
I feel the same way....I guess it's a chance you have to take. What if it quits then starts again... I really want to go this evening..just can't decide[>:]
Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 PM

Guess I look at this way, my worst day of hunting still beats most of my"good" days. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:47 PM

I hunt rain or shine.I sometimes preffer the rain more if it is hot out.The deer seem to move more during the daylight hours when it is raining.Especially if it is hot out.So let it rain.You just have to be very careful to watch where you last saw the deer and listen for a crash.Sometimes depending on the rain you may have to start tracking earlier.Also I would suggest when tracking do it in a stalking style.So if need be you can take a second shot to finsh the job.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

I got my first deer with a bow while hunting in a lite rain. Hunting on the ground with my back up against a tree. The deer passed 10 yards right in front of me. The rain helped keep my scent down.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 PM

I shot a doe not even 5 min after it stopped drizzling yesterday, good thing I sat out the rain. I always carry a compass in the woods with me, and trailing a deer is one reason for it. I firmly believe that you should not push a deer too early after a shot...rain or shine. I know that some people look immediately when rainingin fear of losing a blood trail. Don't do it, let'em lay downand die. After the shot Ialways watch and listen and determine exactly which direction(compass) I last see/hear the deer in relation to my stand. Most deer don't go any further than 100 yds or so. I can usually b-line straight to the deer without blood trailing.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Hurting in rain

rain don't bother me i have tracked quite a few deer with little or no blood trail it even makes it easier after it rain or if the ground is wet
Old 09-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hurting in rain

Not me ,because of the trailing issue

Quick Reply: Huting in rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.