Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Huting in rain

Old 09-27-2005, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hurting in rain

As long as its not downpouring when I head out Im staying even if its starts raining hard after Im up. I'll stay in my tree. Ive seen allot of movement when it rains. Your scent gets reduceda bit also. You all need to get the tree umbrellas, best $20 I ever spent. I went in dry, it started pouring then eventually stopped, and I came out dry. My buddy got saturated ..... again. I think he is finally going to get an umbrella now
Old 09-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Huting in rain

It never bothered me to hunt in the rain untill 3 years ago. I was sitting in my ladder stand at around 430pm along one our access roads in our woods when all of a sudden here comes the biggest buck I have ever seen, including some of the ones on TV. I swear this guy wasMASSIVE!!!! He came straight in from the west walking straight towards me, all I could see was horns. I was in disbeliefe when he decided to stop and have a bite of corn fromthe corn pile. When he was done eating, he steped behind a huge oak tree no more than 10 yards from my stand in front of me. I knew this was the time to draw. Once he stepped out for a perfectly clear shot I let one fly hitting him just behind the shoulder but a little high. I waited about 35 minutes and met my brother out in the field who said he had just shot a monster as well....Then it began to rain......needless to say, neither of the two bucks were found. We searched for 3 days to find the bucks. We believe that they may have crossed the river and went on to some leased land that noone is allowed on. This really upset me for months. I even brought in a professional tracker the day after the shot, and with the rain it was hard to tell what the heck they did. But by looking at the tracks, he told me that Ihit bone and the buck is still alive....kinda lifted my spirits a bit but was I depressed for the longest time, I almost quit bow hunting all together. But I sat down and said to myself over and over, it happens, it even happens to the pros. Ill never forget that buck for as long as I live. I now call him, Heart Breaker. Many people in my area have been seeing a huge buck crossing the river from our land to the leased land on the north side of the river, we believe its him, all 14-18 points of him. He apparently walks with a limp. Maybe this year hell give me a second chance. There for, if its more than a mist, and I go hunting, I wont shoot. Not taking the chance on losing another one.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:33 AM

Thanks guys. I do believe deer move more in light rain. I WILL hunt in the rain even a downpour, just leery of bowhunting in the rain for tracking issues.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wis Bow Hnt thats a great point about possibly not being able to track a bllod trail well in rain. However, if you didnt get in your stand and stick it out in the rain, you never have seen him, or had a shot at him. Unfortunatly your shot wasnt a perfect hit, maybe only missed by an inch or 2,or you probably would be posting about a great success rain story. Hopefully the Heart Breaker gives you another opportunity.