Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early season calling. >

Early season calling.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early season calling.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Early season calling.

Iv never really tried calling early season before iv always hunted near a water source and let them come to me but i was thinking about giving it a try this year. I just bought a Tru-talker from walmart the other day that should be good for early season right? as long as im using a buck grunt or would a doe work better for the early season? or does it really even matter?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 PM

Default RE: Early season calling.

I wouldn't even bother with a grunt tube this early in the year. Deer are social animals, but I rarely hear them make much noise this early in the year.

Fawn in distress calls will sometimes work to bring a doe in in a hurry, but other than that...

You picked up a good call though, I've had two different Tru-Talkers and liked them both a lot.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:45 AM

In early season it is best to stick with non rutting calls . If you grunt use imiture buck tones also doe bleats soft and infreaquent . i like to tickle my rattlin horns like two young bucks playing around this will often get a bigger bucks couriosity up and he will come to check it out. Dont use estrus scents either I use Tinks #1 doe pee just too establish that mental deer image and a comfort smell.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with the others. Non-rut oriented deer calls will probably work the best this early in the season. Come the second or third week of October though.....

Old 09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't use any rutting sounds just yet. However, bleats and DOE grunts will work. Numerous times in the early season, I've seen and heard does make a grunting sound that wasn't as deep as a buck. I use bleats mostly at this time.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Check out this website and you should get the answers you are looking for in relation to which calls to use and when to use them. I saved the deergrunt soundson my home computer and practiceduntil I couldreplicate the actual sounds.Alot ofhunters grunt but have noclue as to the varietyof sounds deer make and why they make them. http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html

Hope this helps you bag the BIG ONE!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:39 PM

I've used fawn bleats with much success this time of year. Does' paternal insticts come in to play, and they sometimes come in to check on the "kids". Buck grunts are just going to work against you right now. It is an unnatural sound in the woods, like using doe in heat urine would be unnatural. Stick to fawn and doe bleats.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:31 PM

I have read in several places now that very, very light rattling could work at this time of year as well. The articles I've read say not to go nuts but just do a light 30 second sequence spaced out a minimum of every half hour. I guess it is not uncommon for bucks to already be sparring half-heartedly, getting ready for the real fights later on. Therefore, some light rattling might draw bucks in to participate or watch. I have not tried this myself, though. So I have no real experiences to share.