Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many does should each shoot? >

How many does should each shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
25.00%
33.33%
22.92%
10.42%
8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How many does should each shoot?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:29 PM

Default How many does should each shoot?

How many does should be shot for each buck you take?
I for one thinkthat it depends on the doe population and the buck to doe ratio in your area.But we can have a on average opinion for this.

I usually take atleast 3 does for every buck I take.I have a rather large deer and especially doe population he in southern Illinois.So I have implemented my own QDM since a lot of hunters around here will only take a buck especially during shotgun season.I also wont shoot bucks without atleast 4points on each side.This includes last chances for the end of the season.I have tried to hold myself to only taking a buck if he will make P&Y.I will not take a buck this year unless he makes it P&Y.though this would hurt my team but I do believe they would understand my decision.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many does should each shoot?

I agree that it depends on the specific ratio in your hunting area. Based on what I see, in my area, one doe for every buck would be sufficient.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:46 PM

I agree, it depends upon the doe to buck ratio. In the area I huntthere arealot does per buck. My vote was for 3.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illinois Bowhuntin

I also wont shoot bucks without atleast 4 antlers on each side.
I think you're going to be waiting a long time. j/k! I understand what you were saying.

I agree with PA in that it really depends on the particular area you're hunting. Some places seem overrun with does while other areas need a doe increase. In my area we have far more doe than bucks. 2 to 1 would be a good ratio I think.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Well I get two either sexandthree anterless, however I also hunt base which allow me two does per day archery. I would say for my area it would be3 and in my specific county it's open season either sex... hmm but only two buck tags..lol
Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Minnesota archers are aloud 4 doe and one buck perseason.
if they say i can, then i`m doing it.

we have a pretty good doe "population" to buck ratio in most of the central area i live.

farm land wood lots hold a tun.

PT

Old 09-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

I think it depends on the area you are hunting. If your state allows you to kill 4 and you want to kill 4 then that is what you should do.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: JeramyK

ORIGINAL: Illinois Bowhuntin

I also wont shoot bucks without atleast 4 antlers on each side.
I think you're going to be waiting a long time. j/k! I understand what you were saying.

LOL I got ya. I went and changed it.Thanks.Well atleast i didnt say horns LOL
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 PM

So much of that depends on your population dynamics in your area. I know the farmers around here basically would rather you shoot 20 does than anything because it will keep their numbers down and their contract vehicles will have less damage done to them than... Personally, around here the ratio of harvest is pretty even spread in the immidiate area. Most guys will take a couple does a year and a buck or two... And a few folks who take as many does as they see.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I dont think anyone should HAVE to take any does. If you are hunting to manage your herd, thats great. I dont think you should require anyone to shoot a certain amount of does or should you try to bestow your management beliefs on anyone else. If you want to shoot a year and a half old 4 point for meat, I beleive you should be able to.

But on topic, I personally will try to take 3 does and two bucks this year, even though I'm aloud 3 bucks.

Quick Reply: How many does should each shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.