Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Large Corporations vs. Joe "Six Pack" Hunter >

Large Corporations vs. Joe "Six Pack" Hunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Large Corporations vs. Joe "Six Pack" Hunter

Old 10-01-2002, 07:59 AM

Default Large Corporations vs. Joe "Six Pack" Hunter

I have leased 100 acres of land with my father-in-law and brother-in-law for the past ten years. We keep in constant contact with the landowner during the off season and make sure he is supplied with venison, cheese, beer and, every now and then, a carton or two of cigarettes. Basically anything and everything to keep him happy. Last week, one week before the season opener, I went to talk to the landowner to make our lease payment and to do a final check on our stands.

The landowner informs me that he is going to lease the land to a large corporation so that they can bring in their executives and clients down from Chicago. So, in a nut shell, the land where I have taught my son how to hunt is now gone! Which means we don't have anywhere to hunt this year. I'm hearing this happen more and more, especially in Illinois, where farmers are leasing land for thousands of dollars a year with $ 2 - 3 million liability insurance policies. How do guys who use the land to help feed their families compete with that? These "executives" and "clients" don't use the land to support their families they use it to trophy hunt. I don't have anything against that but it sure is frustrating.

Well anyway, shoot one for me this year boys. Good luck and happy hunting. Bob
Old 10-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Large Corporations vs. Joe "Six Pack" Hunter

I cringe everytime I hear another story like this one. I live in IL, and it makes me sick to see deer hunting taking this route, going to the highest bidder. I hope it ends one day, and feel it will when farmers figure out that trophy hunters are doing nothing for the doe population, which will increase crop damage.

Just a thought, get a hold of the land owner, ask him for the contact name of the corporation, call them and see if they want local "guides" in the area that are intimately familiar with the land and will set up stands, etc, in exchange for the right to hunt when no "executives" are around. My guess, they love to be babied, and won't be around much anyway. Will probably jump at the chance to be "served".

Old 10-01-2002, 08:52 AM

Sorry to hear that. Rangeball made some good suggestions.

I have never had a good private tract of land to hunt. I hunt public land mostly. I'm glad to be into bowhunting now because the traffic isn't very bad during archery season.

That's a bummer though.

-Chief
Old 10-01-2002, 09:15 AM

Sounds like a great idea Rangeball. I'll give it a try. I guess the part that is the most upsetting is that us and the folks that own the farms next to where we hunted have all practiced game management for the past 4 years. Now that there are some big boys in the area, some one else wants to come in and reap the rewards - so to speak.

I just spoke with the guys who own the land next to where we hunted. They have graciously invited us to hunt on their land although it will be very crowded - maybe too crowded. Anyway, they too are upset because they know that the "executives and clients" won't continue to participate in our GMP. In a few years we may be right back to where we started four years ago.

Old 10-01-2002, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Yes sir, I feel your pain. I've had it broke off in my arse also and it is not a pleasant feeling. This sport is not what it was when I started only 12 years ago. The bottom line is to find a way to get your own land or pool your resources with trusted friends and family and lease up your own ground to hunt. Rangeball made some good suggestions but I guarantee those corporate buttheads will be hunting the best times during the rut and definitely will not want you in there before or during that time. Sorry for your loss, best of luck to you.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

in the future hunting will be for the rich only because they will tie up all the land, it is very sad...!
It really torques me off, nobody owns the deer, i personally think if someone is going to post there ground then they have to push all the deer off of it and fence it off, is it right for them to claim the deer just because there on there ground? Or fence it off and no deer allowed unless they purchase them,,,,
i know im just venting here but it is sad for the guys who cant compete with the big dollar guys!!!!!

Hunting with a bow brings about a different challenge on every hunt!!!