Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire Disappointment >

Spitfire Disappointment

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire Disappointment

Old 09-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spitfire Disappointment

At 16 yards65#'sand aAcc 360 and a 100 grain tip the arrow should be able to do loop de loops and still pass trough a doe at that range!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like I said I've had them work awesome I just don't need any other concerns when shooting that P&Y here in the near future!!!!!!

I started this thread with a concern about the performance of a product, and what I got back from some of you is that I for one don't know how to shoot. And for two I don't know how to tune a bow. Thats fine I don't claim to know it all but I'll tell you this. I have been bow hunting for 18 years and have harvested many deer and a Moose with the bow. I also have been shooting competitive archery for five years. I can and do shoot well and can and do tune my own bow to close to perfection.Maybe I'm just takeing this a little to personally. After all the deer only went 100 yards!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

I use them and have had good luck. I have taken 10 animals a mixture
off hogs and deer. The only time I have not had a pass thru was on quatering
away shots on hogs. It slammed intothe opposite elbow and stopped. Even
these only went about 50 yards. I was using a 64# Jennings Rackmaster so I can't
explain your lack of penetration. But I wouldn't blame you for changing heads.
If that happened to me I would drop them too.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 PM

The products work quite well, when fixed up with the proper set up, don't be so quick to blame the broadhead themselves, NAP recommends at the least 55KE for the Spitfires to open properly, and like stated before I would most likely use them with a setup producing 60KE or better. I use Rocky Mtn Snypers, probably one of the easiest opening mechanicals, Spitfires are known to be one of hardest opening mechanicals. I can tell you, I have had no problems with my setup. Go back to what works, whether its Thunderheads or Muzzy's, but don't blame the product for for a misfortune, there are many things that might not have been noticeable to the human eye, that could have happened in those 16yds. This is why we hunt, not kill, because sh** happens!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Bird Hunt... I wasn't saying you couldn't tune or shoot. I was making statements with regard to "OTHER" posts I"ve seen over the years. I agree too, you should have had a pass threw. My Thunderheads would have been stuck in the ground to the point it would take a goodtug to remove it if it his some roots. The point is, that all too often it's NOT the equipment. At other times it is or it's a combination of equipment that is at fault.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:15 PM

i shot the 85 grain spitfires last year from my 60# bow,that was prolly not anywhere nere perefect tuneing,,and shot a button buck from 15 yard or less,,(cant remember)and the arrow only went in 7 or 8 inches from what i could tell,,we never did find the arrow(3-39 a/c/c) but did find the deer after about 70 or 80 yard,,with barely any blood at all
Old 09-20-2005, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spitfires Hmmmm?
18 for 18 on whitetails
2 for 2 turkeys
1 for 1 red stag
1 for 1 fallow deer
1 for 1 corsican ram
2 for 2 ground hogs
2 for 2 raccoons

No problems with them here! I love them! I know my day will come where I wound an animal but that happens with any broadhead. If you hit a deer in the vitals you will get it.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

I did not wound the deer I found it dead within 100 yards. I made a double lung shot. I am disappointed with the penetration I got. Two years ago I shot a doe at 37 yards with 100 grain Spitfires and a Easton light speed. Clean pass through! I can't figure out why I didn't get a pass through at 16 yards with a heavier arrow set up. That arrow shouldn't of even slowed down!!!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot small does at 15 yardsand the arrow stuck right in a rib on exit...while I've shot very large deer with the same rig and had complete pass thru at 38 yards.

Don't think into it too much.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are a few things you need to understand about the Spitfire line of broadheads.........first and foremost is the workings of the "Retention" clips.
Not all Spitfire heads that I have used or handled opened the same in hand.....some allow the blades to swing open nicely while others are so tight that they are practically strangling the blades. There was too much variation in opening force for my tastes on a head that already requires a little more energy than most other jacknife style heads.
If I was going to hunt with Spitfires, believe it or not I would actually remove the retention clips entirely and shoot them with the Rocket style rubber bands.
There are too many variables from shot to shot, arrow to arrow ,or head to head let alone anatomy hit to expect every shot result to be identical.
They are a high quality head, nice blade sharpness, but the lack of a rubber band comes with a price........many times that's less penetration than a head of a similar cutting diameter as a result of tight blade retention clips.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 PM

Matt from PA pretty much summed up my experience with the retention clip deal. I went to the shockwave with the rubber o ring . slide that back, tip the head up, and the blades should fall open or down just by gravity. if they don't don't usethem. Glad you got the deer.good shooting.

Quick Reply: Spitfire Disappointment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.