Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire Disappointment >

Spitfire Disappointment

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire Disappointment

Old 09-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Spitfire Disappointment

Gee the deer I have shot with them all were pass thrus and exit holes like a slug gun.Last year the lung was hanging out the exit hole
Old 09-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

First off, before I start... I shoot fixed Thunderheads. It's a given you loose some energy with mechanicals. Some of the horror stories above probably point out a couple points worth mentioning. Regardless of what manufacturers say, I think it's pretty much a given that you have 60 or above KE to shoot the things. Secondly, some stated he was having "Set Up" problems and went to the mechanicals. A mechnical is not a repair for flawed tuning. In fact, because of the energy loss when opening, you sure enough should not have set up problems if you go that way. Your bow better be tuned to a T. It just won't work if the arrows are hitting less than at 90 degrees. Any fishtailing or porpousing will exaggerate lost energy. I thought I might try some mechanicals last year. I bought them and shot them, but then couldn't find the replacement blades for them. I decided I might try them this year. Well, I was out shooting my old standby Thunderheads. They're dead nuts on at 20, 30 and 40. Why in the world would I even think of fixing that which isn't broke. So, I'm still on Thunderheads after umpteen years. You got to tune those bows boys and girls. And if you get it tuned, it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you don't push the envelope and step outside the "REAL" guidelines, not the manufacturers hype. Knowing Big John, he could launch a rock and get penetration. It's all in the setup.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great responds Dave I coulden't have said it better! When tuning your bow look for perfection. You are what you shoot.Why sould you accept any thing else from yourself for yourself? Mike
Old 09-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: I-B-trapperDave

All too often "we" blame the broadheads for "our" poor shots!
So a 16 yard perfectly broadsidedouble lung shot is a "POOR" shot[&:]
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

A bow doesn't get tuned any better than mine is........And don't be telling me I made a "POOR" shot.[:@]
Old 09-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot two deer that they have worked well on. But all it takes is one poor performance and their gone. I've never had any problems with Muzzy's. I tried expendables because I liked the cutting diameter, NOT because of tuning problems. My Muzzy's are dead on out to 60 yards same as my field pionts.............Tuned enough for you???????????
Old 09-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

I feel Expandables are the only way. They double the cutting diameter. Just tried the new Hypershock by Aftershock Archery. They work great shot a doe with a 60 lb pull at 20 yrds clean pass through like butter even after going through a rib and the doe went about 70 yards watched here fall they work great. Oh and they open after about one inch of the broadhead is in the deer to help lessen deflection on angled shots.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

I can't complain about them so far. Double-lunged a doe from about 16 yds, slice a rib clean in two on exit, complete pass thru, stuck in ground. Shot a turkey from about the same distance but hit wing/hip. No pass thru but had some real yummy turkey breast. I will be using them this season. I am going to try some Muzzy's also. The thing about the Spitfires, really any mech, is to tune the head also. If you are using them straight out of the package you probably are starting with trouble. I take them apart and clean them, oil them, and adjust the tension so they are opening just right. You have to keep checking and adjusting as needed, not to mention keeping a sharp blade.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

I shot a doe last night with a 100 grain Spitfire on an 29" ACC 360 out of a 65# Martin cougar at 16 yards. She was standing straight broadside, I hit here 3" Back from the shoulder and center of body in hight. Perfect double lung shot. I had NO pass through. I can not believe that this arrow didn't pass through. It left only a mark on the inside of the opposite side rib cage. I caught two ribs at the same time with the blades but that still shouldn't of mattered! It did leave a nice hole in the entrance side! I will not shoot another deer with these heads. I new I should of stuck with my Muzzy's. BBBB....BAD TO THE BONE
That's too bad!!! Since you're not going to use them again , send them to me and I'll put them to good use.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Davidmil is right, and to expound a little more, shooting at paper and targets, and shooting at fur is two different things. When the animal gets in position, breathing gets rapid, bow hand may quiver a little, release hand may quiver a little, punch the release, all these things may affect arrow flight , leading to poor penetration . Maybe the wind is blowing a little too much, maybe your arrow clipped that leaf or twig! Want to try an experiment? Get into a good fight with the wife, and immediately go outside and try to paper tune, boy what a surprise you'll get. I can tune a pretty good bow but not when I'm nervous or excited, and lookin for the wife to sneak up behind me with a rollin pin.

Quick Reply: Spitfire Disappointment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.