HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Disappointment
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spitfire Disappointment

There are a few things you need to understand about the Spitfire line of broadheads.........first and foremost is the workings of the "Retention" clips.
Not all Spitfire heads that I have used or handled opened the same in hand.....some allow the blades to swing open nicely while others are so tight that they are practically strangling the blades. There was too much variation in opening force for my tastes on a head that already requires a little more energy than most other jacknife style heads.
If I was going to hunt with Spitfires, believe it or not I would actually remove the retention clips entirely and shoot them with the Rocket style rubber bands.
There are too many variables from shot to shot, arrow to arrow ,or head to head let alone anatomy hit to expect every shot result to be identical.
They are a high quality head, nice blade sharpness, but the lack of a rubber band comes with a price........many times that's less penetration than a head of a similar cutting diameter as a result of tight blade retention clips.