Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ridges, steeper terrain

Old 07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ridges, steeper terrain

New property..Almost 100% ridge that gets steep in some parts, but there areTONSof does (and a few smaller bucks)so hopefully it will be a good ruttin' spot.. Does any one have any tactics or advice for hunting steeper terrain or ridges.. There are corn fields at the bottom so I'm using my trail cam to pattern them for bow season when they go to and from the fields, but if anyone has any tipsor a lot of experiencehunting steeper terrain it'd be a big help. Thanks

Adam Bowman
Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ridges, steeper terrain

Not an expert but i know when hunting steeper terrain that you find the flatest spot on the porp. or any caves or ridges vallys you can and this is were your deer will most likely be traveling..it gives them a break basically...like i said not an expert but when i hunt up in PA t seems to work for me year after year...find the break in the action sound like you know what your doing with the trail camara though so stick with it...

BH818
Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

The area that I hunt sounds pretty close to what you are describing. Find the low spot in the ridge or the saddle. This is where the deer will cross over the top if they cannot go around. I have used this tactic the past two years and have seen a lot of deer and harvested two nice 8 point bucks (126 and 132).
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt the foothills of the Appalachians here in Alabama, and my land is mostly very steep ridges with fingers and hollows goin in all directions down to the riverbottom fields. It's great land and very fun to hunt once you get the hang of it. I've been huntin it since I was 7 with my dad and granddad, by myself since I was 16, so I've learned a lot.....not an expert, never will be, but I have consistent success. I've also hunted Talladega NF a little bit and that's definitely the toughest terrain in Alabama, it's demanding. Bdosas is on track, as I hunt saddles about 50% of the time I'm hunting the woods and see does almost every single time I go. The other 50% in the woods is given to stands where I find a nice rub or scrapeline goin up a ridge from an oak bottom, and there's always good buck sign, just gotta find it. I only hunt fields and food plots about 10% of the time, either early gun season taking out does, or during our late rut in January. It's tough hunting sometimes, as you may setup too far down a ridge and have the deer come up the side at an angle and come out behind you, but that's where scoutin comes into play. The main key to success when hunting terrain like this is scouting and finding that main trail does prefer to use year after year. As for trail cams, I have had very little success putting mine in the woods on a trail. I really only use mine for preseason "scouting" just to see what kinda deer I have. I'll put it down in a creek bottom over a little corn where two or three hollows meet. I get many many good pictures and a good idea of my herd. I DO NOT and never will hunt over corn like many down here, I hate it. The club next to me does that and it makes me so mad. When season comes in I stop all feeding and let em forage, if I don't I won't see as many deer because they only come out at night and gorge on corn, turns em nocturnal quick and you'll waste your time hunting. Judging by my pics over the years, even you were to hunt over the corn you won't seem during the day like I said. During season I'll put it out over a white salt lick, which is legal, and I'll get some pretty good pics. As soon as season's over I start puttin out a little more corn and my camera. SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT. Don't wait too late to start!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Spike

I do all of my hunting on the ground.So on calm days I still try to consider the thermal air going up or down the mountain.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty good advice given, make sure you pay attention to the wind and thermals.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks
Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats all maine is is a mountian, get high and work high. its easier to hunt a long and look down for deer hen it is to look up and usually you can do it unditected. work the thermals if you can. up in the a.m. down in the p.m.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I find, least in this country, that deer dont want to climb ridges anymore than we do, they will tend to stay low or high, and when moving at their own pace will take a gradual path uphill, only when they're running scared will they run straight up or straight down.

So knowing this may help you strategize about staying high, or perhaps how a deer would travel.....they may curve around to stay high,

Old 07-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

All good advice! It can't be overstated though, stay above them and find the saddles. When deer are not pressured they will take the easy routes! good huntin'!

Quick Reply: ridges, steeper terrain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.