Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Laws are to Easy on those that break them >

Laws are to Easy on those that break them

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Laws are to Easy on those that break them

Old 09-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Laws are to Easy on those that break them

They should've been fined $500.00, lost the gun and had their licenses suspended for two years. Any further infractions would include jail time.

That's what I would do if elected dictator.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:23 PM

TN is tough on poachers... matter of fact, look at their site and click on the regional auctions. http://www.state.tn.us/twra/ These are all of the weapons and equipment seized from violations and have been through court. TN also will take anything you used to take the game illegally including vehicles, though those were sold at a seperate auction.

Last year they arrested a guy off of some of our land in NE Tennessee last year after catching him comming off the property with 7 deer in his truck at once. This is the same guy that when he came to the cabin while I was there, asked if he could get written permission to hunt there even though he had been helping himself. I told him that it was up to my grandfather who owns the land, and to not hunt there until he had it. He then told me "you're welcome" for not taking a deer that a buddy of mine took that morning. He saw it and told us that he had it in his sights but decided to pass. It was at that point that I firmly suggested that he leave the property and not return unless he had written permission. My 2 buddies that were with me, and also cops, heard the elevated voices and came out to see whats up. Later that night I had a nice talk with the local "Opposum Cop"
Chris
Old 09-17-2005, 09:47 PM

i would of talked the land owner into filing trespass charges against them so they would of gotten into more trouble.I wouldnt have been so easy on them if they did it on my property.The 4 wheeler would of probably gotten shot while it was on my land.I am glad here in Illinois they go a lot harder on poachers.I know one guy who didnt do jail time but he lost his rifle and got a 5000 fine and that was his 2nd offense.his 3rd will amount to some prison time.Both times he shot a deer with a rifle during bow season and tagged it with a bow tag and checked it.Well the person that checked it in knew it was shot with a rifle and not a bow.This was the sencnond time this guy done it.First time he lost the rifle and got fined 1000 second he lost the rifle and paid out 5 grand.next time he wont ever get his hunting license back and he will do prison time.I do believe he lost his ability to get a hunting license for 5 years this last time also.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:14 PM

HERE IN MEXICO YOU COULD GO TO JAIL, BUT IF YOU HAVE THE $$$$$$$$$ JUST HAVE TO SHOW IT AND YOU'RE FREE OF ANY CHARGE, THATS SAD, ANYWAY THER'S A LOT OF FURTIVE HUNTERS (OUT OF SEASON "HUNTERS" OR ALL YEAR "HUNTERS") IF YOU CAN CALL THIS GUYS HUNTERS I THINK THEY'RE ASSESSINS.
ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

I know you can't be from Wisconsin. Our poaching penalties are pretty darn tough , and I like it that way.
Get caught poaching deerhere and you'll get a nice little $2000 fine , license privilages revoked for minimum of one year (usually 2 - 3) , weapon confiscated , and if your poaching from your vehicle (any vehicle) ,that can be confiscated as well.

Oh , and they don't get to keep the deer either. It gets donated to Hunters Feeding the Hungry.