Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coons at feeder

Old 09-07-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Coons at feeder

Does anyone know of a way to keepcoons away frommy feeder, I get allot of pics of coons at my feeder.
(And before anyone gets started taking this post in a different direction, I only put out feed to draw the deer in to get pics to see what is in the area. It is legal in my state to feed as long as the feed is gone10 days prior to hunting the area.)
Old 09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coons at feeder

Unfortunately, I haven't found any way to do this, they are kind of like the squirrels of the night.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt overa corn feeder, I don't care. I hunt over corn feeders. If it's legal and you don't have a bad feeling about doing it, do it.

I got a bunch of pics of coons at my corn feeder too. I shot one of them last season. You can trap them too I guess. I figure shooting them all would keep them out of there though. Funny how they'll walk up in broad daylight to get some of that corn.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Shoot'em they make a real good hat that was very popular back in my days.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A coon proof feeder will fix the problem.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:22 AM

could you try not aiming the camera 'directly' at the feeder? but maybe on a trail close to it?

it's hard to rid an area of coons by trapping or shooting them, there's always more out there.

I know of a good poisoning trick, but it will kill anything that drinks it, and i mean drop them within a few feet.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Invite your friendly local coon hunting club to take care of your light work . Coons aren't dumb , when they can't approach a food source without a bunch of guys shooting them to pieces they start looking elsewhere .
Old 09-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't use a feeder but several friends of mine have them set up on private land. They run into the same problem. If you find a viable solution then I would love to hear it as well.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

This may sound dumb but its something I may try cause I have the same problem.I've thought of setting up some small table thats just out of reach for the coons to spread the corn over.Maybe a 4x4 post with a small pice of plywood on top.This may sound rediculous but I wonder if it would work and if the deer would still eat it.Just throwing around ideas.I usually get one set of deer pics and then it's like the coons take over.What do you guys think?
Thanks,
JE
Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

A couple good blue ticks or black and tans, a few evenings in the woods and a 22 long rifle will thin out the coon population quickly.

Quick Reply: Coons at feeder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.