Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bear Hunters - A Little Help. >

Bear Hunters - A Little Help.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Hunters - A Little Help.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Bear Hunters - A Little Help.

I will be for the first time, bear hunting.

I have been doing research about the area and the animal for over 2 months.

I put boot on the ground and this is what I found. But since I have never been before just wanted to double check my findings.

I found multiple bear tracks, but this is the best on on a watering hole that I scouted.

Not to far away I found this limb that had been torn from the above canopy and only had a few acorns left on it, and the leaves have not curled yet.

Found what I believe was fresh scat in the same near the same area.

Also found old scat in the same area.

Also in the same general area I found pokeweed broken over and striped of all it't berries.

Are any of my observation incorrect?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear Hunters - A Little Help.

1. Yes, this is a bear track. Measure the large pad, add one inch and that is what the bear skin would square out to. Example: Pad measures 4" + 1" = 5' bear rug.
2. I've never seen a bear tear limbs off of tall trees like that. Not to say they don't. I usually see stumps torn apart from where they are getting bugs and bees.
3. Looks like deer droppings.
4. Looks like elk droppings. Bear scat is more like a dog or human. It is round and full of berrie seeds or grass. Sometimes it will be in one large pile. It looks like the berries gives them the runs. All of the bear scat that I've seen is in one place and not scattered.
5. This looks like a bear had a snack.

You do have bear in that area so keep looking for a good spot for a tree stand and keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Bear Hunters - A Little Help.

Thanks, glad to hear it.

Will be bowhunting.

This is in Arkansas on public ground and have been doing research for about 2 months, talking with research to field biologist and local hunters in the area.

All I have left is to look for one more pond that is close the the same area. Have more pictures for you but don't want to bore you with others.

All the picture you see are within a 100 yard circle.

Thanks for all the help.