Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NJ bear hunters

Old 12-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NJ bear hunters

I dont live remotely close to NJ. I have been hearing in the news that NJ has now started a bear hunting season. Myself dont see anything wrong with it. Why are there so many protesting againist these hunters. I am sure must of the protesters are liberals. Why cant they just leave us hunters alone. Us conservatives should try and ban what ever hobby liberals are into.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NJ bear hunters

I'm not an expert on NJ, but I would imagine that these protesters are a mix of out-of-state activists and residents from the urban areas in NJ, particularly up in the north. Those people growing up in Newark don't see a lot of nature, let alone a lot of hunters. Folks in the rural parts don't seem to give it quite as much thought.

P.S. Why ban liberal hobbies? Just ban the liberals! They're lucky people like us respect the Bill of Rights so much, or they'd be finished.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:17 PM

How about a liberal hunting season? Read it as you may.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:52 PM
jbc

Aught Six had it about right. NJ has been a hotbed for anti activity for the last 5-10 years. One god thing is it has caught the attention of sportsmen and made them active.

The biggest lesson every other state can learn is to become proactive. I've seen it many times where people say "It can't happen in MY state" and the next thing you know they are banning some type of hunting or gun ownership.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:07 PM

As a Jersey guy born and raised, the anti crowd is a mix of different interest groups. First off NJ is a pretty old school Democrat state - anti gun, anti business, pro tax etc etc. Our politicians are OWNED by special interest groups - both sides of the aisle are unclean. Proximity to NYC - and it goes more liberal - bleeding heart. I think the anti movement in NJ springs out of that. I know tons of people who live in this state who aren't activists but still look at hunting with a dim view - see it as brutal and somehow unclean. But I know many hunters and open minded (logical) people in state who are ardent outdoors enthusiasts or at least understand the rights of hunters and hunting and the value it brings to balancing things. The anti's are a vocal minority - like so many other noisy interest groups that want to impose their views on others. They claim tolerance but they exercise nothing of the sort.

Our biggest problem here in NJ is that the limited audience for hunting and gun rights is very quiet so the middle grounders hear only one side of the story.

IMHO
Old 12-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

The bear hunt is proceeding at a good clip with the Federal Lands being reopened yesterday. THe anti's were out Monday but seemed to have calmed down. The papers are running daily kill tallies but that is to be expected.

The number stands at 220 as of 12/11 morning.

The problem w/NJ is the fact that we only have about 90,000 hunters out of 7 million people in the state. The antis can generate a lot of noise and have the media behind them.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:24 PM

The Anti's know the the Governor wants to end all hunting and fishing in the state. What better State then this to start. It also has to do with the many Liberal Judge's in the State.