Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on Shafts >

Question on Shafts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on Shafts

Old 09-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question on Shafts

Alright guys, got some questions here. I have been using an old bow, a Martin Cougar Speed Flite with the poundage turned all the way up, 82 lbs. Well since it is an old bow, I had to do some research to find things out about it...First off, people on other forums were saying that even though it is about 12 years old there is no reason not to use it, which made me feel good. Secondly, they said to make sure that you werent using too light of arrows with the older bow because it might result in something kinda like the bow dry-firing, because of the low resistance. Is this true??
Ok, what worried me was the fact that i WAS shooting arrows in which the spine was listed as being too light...I was shooting Easton Maxum Quattro 2215. Now i have probably shot the three arrows i have been practicing with more that 1000 times in the past month, with pretty good groups, usually withing 2-3 inch groups at 20 yards...I just bought some more Easton Quattro 2315 because the easton website said that those were recommended for the setup if i were to turn it down to around 70 lbs...what do you guys think i should do?? THANKS!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:23 PM

Default RE: Question on Shafts

IBO speeds are calculated at 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight I believe. So, for a 80lb bow they would be shooting 400 grain arrows. Most consider IBO specs to be the very low end of acceptable hunting arrows.

That being said, the arrows you were shooting do appear under spined, but they are not too light if you used a 100 grain head are larger and probably haven't caused you any damage.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the reply, is damage to the bow the main reason to make sure that a arrow is too weak in the spine? I am more than likely going to turn the bow down around 70lbs no matter what, but i believe that these maxum 2315s I just bought are around 320 grains....if thats what the name implies...these are called Maxum Quattro 320, and are size 2315, but the first ones i was shooting were Maxum Quattro 420, size 2215....does this make any sense??
Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM

I can't really find any info on the Quatto shafts in particular. But the 2315 is the correct spine size for your specs, assuming a 27 inch arrow and 100 grain head.

The spine and weight are NOT the same thing. It is possible to have a weak spine, but the weight is fine. I think the bow is fine. You have to shoot an EXTREMELY light arrow to really hurt a bow.

ALOT of guys on here shoot 70lb rigs with arrows weighing in the 300's, which is light.

The number listed on arrow such as 340, 400, etc is the spine rating.

Now, the chart says that if you drop to 70lbs, you can use the 2215's, if you use a 27 inch arrow and 100 grains... I assume that is close to what you were using since you said the 2315's were recommended at 80lbs.

Don't worry about the bow.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Typical Buck

thanks a bunch double creek....ill stop the worrying now!!!!