Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie question on shafts >

Newbie question on shafts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie question on shafts

Old 08-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Newbie question on shafts

Sorry about the simple question guys, but I didnt know where else to start looking. I was wondering what the difference is in shafts. This will be my first year bowhunting, and my Dad and I will be going together usually. I will be using one of his bows and I had to buy some shafts. He said the arrows he usually used for that bow were Easton XX75 gamegetters 2216. In my area, all I could find were 2215s. So here is the question. What is the difference between the 2215s and 2216s. Does it relate to shaft diameter and thickness?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:04 PM

Default RE: Newbie question on shafts

The numbers designate the size of the arrow. The first two numbers are the outside diameter of the arrow in 64 ths of an inch. Yours are 22/64. The last two number indicate the wall thickness off the arrow in thousandths of an inch. The 2216 will have a 16 thousandths wall thickness (.016"). The 2215's will have a 15 thousands of an inch wall thickness (.015"). So they will be slighty lighter and weaker in spine.

I would have to look at a chart and compare it with what you shoot to see if they would be too weak or not. I suggest go to a shop and have them help you pick the correct arrows.

I don't like what you are doing from the sounds of it. Archery is an individual sport. You can't just grab someones bow and shoot it well (compound bow). It needs to fit you and be set up for your size. Just grabbing daddy's bow and heading for the woods is setting yourself up for failure in my opinion.

I would suggest going to a shop and seeing what your draw length is and a comfortable draw weight. Then see if your dad's bow fits you or can be made to fit you. Then practice a lot. Once you determin the fit and parameters of the bow the shop can help you pick the correct arrows.

Now if your shooting a recurve or longbow things are a bit different. However if you and your dad are different sizes and have different draw lengths you will have to get different spined arrows.

If you just wanted to wing target tipped arrows around the back yard it would be one thing, but if you are wanting to hunt there is a lot more to it than just grabbing someones bow, getting some arrows and heading to the woods.

Now if the bow already fits you, then dissregard what I said. I just don't want you to be misslead and set yourself up for failure before you even start. Bow hunting is hard enough when everything is in your favor.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but it's the best advice I can give.

Paul
Old 08-09-2005, 06:11 PM

Although Paul is right, it is not as bad as it sounds. If your bow doesn't fit you then you just have to take it to a shop and have them order some new cams.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Good advise as usual, Paul. You didn't supply the draw weight, so I dont know if you will be underspined, overspined, or what. I am sure your bow can be made to fit you if it doesn't already.
What Paul is saying, simply, is that if you are shooting a bow that doesn't fit you, archery will not be any fun for you, and you will give up. By doing so, you would be losing out on the greatest sport on this earth!! As you get more into archery, you will discover that the sky is the limit. There is almost an infinite supply of rests, sights, arrows, bows, and so on and so on.

ps. No need to apologize for a "simple question." I mean, look at Zak here....he's as simple as it gets..... j/k buddy
Old 08-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Well me and my dad are pretty alike in body size, and have almost identical wingspan, although that may not be the same drawlength, from shooting his other bow, it feels like it is a comfortable drawlength. I agree that archery is an individual sport, that is how i feel about hunting in general. In reality we do prep the areas; clearing brush, setting up stands, etc. as a group(my father, brother, and I). We hunt in stands seperate from each other. This is my first year bowhunting, so he is helping me out. He has been bowhunting for the better part of 20 years, but could not remember the difference between 2215s and 2216s. Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the bow is an from around 1995, it is a Martin Cougar Speed Flight. The draw weight is currently 82, and the draw length is 30 inches. Like I said, I am comfortable drawing the bow and holding it for periods of time. Like I said we are about the same size, frame etc. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 AM

Well if you are drawing 82 lbs at 30 inches you must be a pretty big boy. You certainly don't need all that for hunting deer though. I guess if you can shoot well with it though it's your decision.

Your arrows seem way off to me however. I could not find any info for your bow, but I own a cheetah from that time so I will sort of base it on that. I'm assuming 30 inch arrows, maybe 29 inches. A medium cam set up on a bow with less than 43 inches of axle to axle and using a release. I figured it with 100 grn tips as well.

The 2216's are extremely weak, and the 2215's would be even worse. I show the 2216's spining at around 60 lbs with that draw length.

Just using the easton calculator on bowjacksons site I get 2514, 2613, 2317 and 2419. Better yet would be to run an arrow thru a chrono and use some of the archery software available today.

Paul