Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early season hunts...DOES >

Early season hunts...DOES

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early season hunts...DOES

Old 08-31-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Early season hunts...DOES

I usually hunt my does in the early season. (around the first couple weeks.) in my state there is a 10 doe limit for the year. Is there to many does you can take if afforded the opportunity. I have 50 acres and the buck to doe ratio is about 1 to 10-15. Or should i try to thin the does out a little more?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Early season hunts...DOES

you have that many deer on 50 acres wow. I am lucky to see that many deer in 3 months hunting. Yea youcan alays over kill anything. Like if you have a 1 to 1 buck to doe ratio and you have only them 2 deer it is time to stop
Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that thinning the herd out couldn't be anything but beneficial. I am surprised you have that many deer but then some areas really are overpopulated with whitetails.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:56 AM

If your division of fish and game allows you to hunt 10 does then it should be safe to take that many. I know in NJ each deer management zone has different rules on amounts and types you can harvest to coincide with their deer per square mile and buck to doe ratio. If they allow it, then it is safe. I also try to manage the doe population during september as well. It's great for the herd and puts meat in the fridge. But when the october lull is over its buck killiing time.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:44 AM

yummy does i always try to get a couple does
Old 08-31-2005, 08:50 AM

I would take as many doe as you could this year. I am sure that your local DNR keeps tabs on the herd so if the whitetail population was thinning down, they would repeal the 10 doe rule. The areas I hunt have a very high doe to buck ratio. I once saw a herd of 26 doe walking across a field I had just crossed. In some counties of Maryland we have unlimited doe during bow season. I plan on donating a lot this year.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 AM

seems like a lot of people anymore would rather shoot a young 6 point than a fat doe, just because of the bone on top of his head. me personally, take every doe i can, unless it's during rut and she looks like she's being chased, and let the younger guys go.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:47 AM

I'm just guessing on the numbers of deer. My wife emailed me yesterday that she saw a spike, five does and a fawn in our back field. That field is approx five to six acres big, then goes into the woods. the land is mainly one big oak flat with a creek running right down the middle. So just so you know i was guestamating on the numbers....sorry
Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually whack one and get some meat. For the past 3 or 4 years I've whacked a couple during crop damage so meat wasn't a problem. This year with my wife's illness and all I really haven't been. In fact, Len filled our first 10 doe tags by himself. I suspect with the little time I'm going to get to hunt this year I'm shooting hair.