Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Home made Cover Scent !! >

Home made Cover Scent !!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Home made Cover Scent !!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Home made Cover Scent !!

ORIGINAL: IshotBambi

Ever tried the mushroom tea? j/k don't try it!ahhahha
Everybody has to experiment when they're young
And shame on you!!
Wasn't that you that suggested bringing a Bible to read
on another thread??(good Idea by the way!)
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 AM

as to dogs being able to smell under-water this i am not sure of. BUT the scent particles float so someone under water would still leave trace amouts floating on top of the water and this is what the K-9 smells. I have know peeps that use bloodhounds trained to trail people and they practice a lot with water because people seam to think that water will cover up your scent. IT DOESNT. One day our k-9 unit got called to assist the game and fish to help them hunt down some poachers that ran on them. they found both of them. however the second one tried to hid under water using a blow tube to breathe. the blood hound just sat right there at the bank of the river he was hiding in the person was completely submerged under water one of the officers went into the water and got the poacher out. hope this helps U2 from any further disputing.
just my .02 worth.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My last post on this so here it goes..Predator just answer this question for me. If you can "flood" a deers nose with a stronger scent how can a buck trail a doe across a picked corn field? You have to admit the corn stalks, dirt, weeds, grass, etc. has a very strong smell. The does track across the field has no scent at all to us. So why doesn't the very strong smell of the corn and dirt not flood the bucks nose and he is still able to follow the doe(at a fast pace I might add)that leave almost no scent.

Same goes for a rub and licking branch. They rub and lick these trees and limbs to leave scent for other deer. How can a buck smell the scent of another buck that has rubbed his head on a strong smelling cedar tree. The cedar gives off a very strong smell but they have no trouble smelling the slight scent of the other deer that rub it. Just curious how you explain this.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Kybuckhunter,
"If you can "flood" a deers nose with a stronger scent how can a buck trail a doe across a picked corn field?"

Well... the does gives off pheramones which the buck can smell and taste in the air,
this is why you might have observed a buck sniffing the air and licking his nose
when he is checking does in a field.
kinda the same as you smelling your wifes perfume in a crowded store after she has
walked around a rack of clothes.(new clothes have a definate strong smell also right?)
that's why we use doe pee as a atractant ,not cow or goat ect.

It's just something that he is a custom to,like the smell of corn,dirt,leaves ect.....
The same goes for rubs, scrapes,ect.
Only those are glandular scents and are often refreshed daily.
That is why it is best hunting those areas after a rain,they go back to those to re-apply scent to them.
Deer can process many different scents ,danger scents,common scents(dirt,leaves,food)
glandular,and hormonal are the most highly tuned of all!
That is why I stress the importance of scent wash products,to eliminateMOST of your human scent as possible,then adding a more domanant common scent.
The End.