Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Home made Cover Scent !! >

Home made Cover Scent !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Home made Cover Scent !!

Old 08-29-2005, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Home made Cover Scent !!

I will give it a try!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't cover your scent. Plain and simple. Keep clean and play the wind.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

You can't cover your scent. Plain and simple. Keep clean and play the wind.
That's like Barney from Mayberry with only one bullett
in his gun, I like to carry a fully loaded gun with a few bulletts
in my pocket even,just in case!
Keep clean ,play the wind....Absolutely!
But....you CAN cover or mask your scent...It works!!
But then again maybe some people just can't cover their scent no matter what they use.[:'(]
Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

No you can notcover or mask your scent. Just ask the officers who use drug sniffing dogs. Drug smugglers use all kind of things to cover the scent but fail. The dogs can even smell drugs put in gasoline. Dogs are also used to find a drowning victim under water. The molecule do not mix or get covered up. A deer can smell one part per million. If cover scent worked then a deer would never be able to pick up on the scent of another deer or person on the ground. The smell of the dirt and grass would cover up the very small amount of scent left on the ground by the other deer or person. So don't think a couple of squirts of scent can overpower a deers nose.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

AHHH,we have so many Chemistry pro's
and Biologists in these forums.

I've seen it work,so you can't convince my different.

Like I stated above"Keep clean ,play the wind....Absolutely! "
Try to be scent free,while over powering what scent is left,with a stronger scent!!!!!!

KYBUCKHUNTER said:
" dogs can even smell drugs put in gasoline. Dogs are also used to find a drowning victim under water. The molecule do not mix or get covered up. A deer can smell one part per million."

first.."dogs can even smell drugs put in gasoline"
Get you facts right,they can smell small traces(not molecules)around the openings of gas tanks and such,
NOT in gasoline!(I have a very close friend that is a K9 officer thatI called and checked with)

second.. "Dogs are also used to find a drowning victim under water"

Now that's a stretch!! your talking parts per billion!!

Third.."A deer can smell one part per million"

I'll give you that! but....part means particales, not molecules.

deer can also tell how strong the scent is , likeif you are close by or
a few days ago,what triggers the alarm system in the deer isby how strong your scent is,I've personaly watched a deer walk the same path a Bobcat walked the day before!
It doesn't mean he didn't smell him,he just didn't smell enough of him to find it a threat.
So.....The Idea is to get as close to scent free,and mask what scent is left is all i'm saying.
So try my homemade cover scent for yourself,or go troll elsewhere!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

I cooked up a batch with pine needles last night. What the heck.........it can't hurt. It's not as strong a smell as I thought it would be. I've rubbed pine needles on my hunting gear for years. It makes me feel better if nothing else.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

SEARCH AND RESCUE DOGS

AJ
Just one trained search and rescue dog is as effective as ten trained human searchers. Their value is indisputable.

Search and Rescue dogs are trained to find missing people and save lives. These truly heroic dogs rely on their powerful scenting ability and physical endurance in their work on search and rescue missions.

Trained to locate lost or missing persons in a specific area. SAR dogs track human scent - microscopic particles that are carried by the wind for considerable distances. Every person has a unique scent, like fingerprints, and SAR dogs are able to discriminate and sniff out an individual person in a highly populated area. All they need is a sample of that person's particular scent.

The Search and Rescue dog works day or night, rain or shine. They are especially effective where human sight is most limited - in the dark, in dense woods, in heavy brush, in disaster debris, and under water.

Rigorous training exercises prepare the SAR dog for future missions where they may have to search for people amidst chaotic conditions, such as after a flood or earthquake. Above all, these dogs are trained to stay focused while trailing a scent in stressful situations. At least one year of training twice a week is needed before a dog can be evaluated and deemed "mission-ready".

Search and Rescue dogs can be any breed or mix of dog that has the desire to work. The dog must have an excellent scenting ability and be large and strong enough to handle a very physical job. They must have lots of stamina, a sound temperament, and be able to work well with other dogs and people.

Petro

Sporting dogs like the Labrador Retriever or the Golden Retriever are often SAR dogs. Working and Herding breeds like German Shepherds, Bloodhounds, Newfoundlands, Dobermans and Rottweilers are highly motivated "workers", and also make good SAR dogs.

Search and Rescue dogs are trained for a variety of specific situations. Categories of specialized SAR dogs are:

Wilderness Search

These dogs search out a missing person who has gone lost in the woods. They are given a scent sample of the missing person, and assigned a specific area to cover.

Water Search

The Water Search dog works to find drowning victims, sniffing out human scent which rises to the surface. Newfoundlands and Labradors, both excellent swimmers, often specialize in Water Search.

Urban Search

These dogs are trained to follow an individual human scent within highly populated areas, blocking out the distractions of the city.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Dog's Nose Knows

If there's a scent to be found, a dog's nose knows!
The canine species has an incredible sense of smell. Historically, humans teamed up with certain specially bred dogs so they could follow the scent of the targeted animal in hunting forays. Even though people think primarily of modern dogs as being family companions rather than hunting dogs, the canine species has not lost its superb sense of smell.
There are many sniffer dogs that devote their lives to serious work like tracking down escaped criminals, or missing (or drowned) persons for the police force. Dogs can effectively identify bombs, firearms and drugs by sniffing for tiny odour traces at international borders and in airports. They are loyal crime fighting partners, performing tough tasks as only our best friends can! Firefighters even call in dogs for criminal investigations of fires where arson is suspected, because dogs can pick up scents that are left behind. The oil and gas industry employs dogs to identify pipe leaks up to twenty feet underground! And if that isn't enough, dogs have even been known to accurately identify cancer lesions on people. Though the mechanism by which some dogs can identify cancers, including human melanoma (a skin cancer) is still poorly understood, it could be their acute sense of smell working once again for our benefit!
In Canada, trained teams of dogs are used for avalanche victim recovery and are provided by the Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Association. Around the world, dogs have been active search and rescue team members during natural disasters (volcanoes and earthquakes), and in man-made disasters like the bombing of the World Trade Center in New York. Sniffing out land mines in far away lands like Afghanistan is yet another duty in the long list of the accomplishments of the sniffer dog.
When veterinary scientists mapped out the function of the canine brain, they found that a very large olfactory lobe had evolved to process a large amount of incoming smell information from the sensitive nose. The lobe is four times larger than in humans, even though our overall brain is much larger! With such a large proportion of their brain devoted only to odour processing, it can be assumed that smelling is a sense of great importance to the canine species. The sensory tissues deep in the nasal cavity also have a very large surface area compared to humans, and the receptors that process the molecules carrying odours are significantly more sensitive than those of humans. Dogs seem to be able to discern a mixture of scents and pull out key traces of compounds of interest to them, and also to follow concentration gradients of the scent molecules. It is estimated that the ability to distinguish between different scents and to pick up scents is about 10,000 times to millions of times better than humans. A typical German shepherd, known to be a top scent tracker has 220 million sensory cells compared with a human's measly 5 million! Cats have about 10 times as many scent receptors as humans, so they also have a distinctly better sense of smell than people, but theirs is not quite as advanced as a dog’s.
Once scent molecules reach the dog, moisture in the nasal cavities (mucus) and a moist nose may help to trap these molecules for processing. The nasal cavities inside the muzzle are formed into complex coiled caverns called nasal labyrinths and these are lined with special sensory cells called olfactory epithelium. A dog’s sniffing behaviour involves taking short deep inhalations. This alters the direction of flow of air in the nose so that it impacts on the main smell sensory tissues. From here, the nerve endings in these specialized receptors transmit information about the odour to the olfactory lobe of the brain via the olfactory nerve.
It is said that animals can supposedly smell fear, but this does not make sense since fear is an emotion. Research has identified some interesting facts to note. When animals or people are afraid, stressed or excited, changes occur in the body. This may include production of an altered type of sweat that has a different odour. In people, special sweat glands (apocrine) release this high odour sweat. Higher body temperature and perhaps bacterial breakdown of this secretion produces the scent of alert that a dog would possibly sense as a fear state. The skunk family also has a particularly evolved form of apocrine-type gland that releases their notorious skunk odor when they are approached!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The second post on dogs has a lot of fact that could be applied to deer as well. As you see my facts were just fine. So believe what you want if you think it helps.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:09 PM

Well, if I ever decide to bow hunt for dogs, I'll be glad for that info. ~ I always wash my hunting clothes (EVERYTHING) in scent killer, and then store it in an airtight container full of pine needles and leaves (from the area I hunt). I wash with scent killer before leaving home. When I get to where I park, I get out, get naked, and hose myself down with scent killer before dressing in the clothes in the box. I apply cover scent to my boots for the walk in. My stand last year was only about 18 feet off the ground. I hadclose to100 deer pass under me in a month period, and not one, EVER smelled me. If I do all that crap for nothing, I'll keep doing it just because it gives me confidence when I have sudden/often wind direction changes.

Quick Reply: Home made Cover Scent !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.