Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Year 2 for my young hunter !!! >

Year 2 for my young hunter !!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Year 2 for my young hunter !!!

Old 08-29-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Year 2 for my young hunter !!!

Well here we go again with my son Nicks 2nd year of bowhunting. Last year he took a total of 4 shots, 3 misses and 1 hit. We never did recover the hit deer due to him jumping out of the stand and chasing after it to early. I know he learned a valuable lesson from that, and I am sure he heard my warnings ringing in his ears after he lost his small buck.

Now to this year 2005. He has grown alot bigger, it seems like he hit 13 andis almost as big as me. He seems more relaxed/confident and is shooting great out to 25/30 yards. He has been practicing everyday from our treestand at the edge of the yard and feels confident to shoot out to 25 yards. I can see in him an excitement and confidence in his abilities this year that I did not notice last year. His stand area has been picked out along with a few smaller bucks who roam that area and need to be culled out of the population... I will of course will be chasing the big ones again this year, Setup my stand were I believe I should have a good chance at killing a nice 13 pointer. However, my luck would be that Nick will get the shot opening day and drill,em)

Anyways, I will keep you guys/gals informed on how it goes for him again this year. I really hope he does nothave the big dissappointment he had last year, we shall see if he learned his lesson.)

Dave
Old 08-29-2005, 07:56 AM

Default RE: Year 2 for my young hunter !!!

i hope he sticks one. good luck
Old 08-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, good luck to you and your son this season. Don't forget to take some pics!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all part of becoming a better hunter. I'm sure this year will prove to be even more enjoyable/memorable for the both of you. It's not the harvest that counts, its being out there! Good luck to you and your son this season, hope you both have a successful one!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wish him luck and am glad that you have your kids involved in archery. I hope to do the same with my son as he gets older.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 AM

It's good that he has been practicing this year, especially out of a stand. Now he has no excuse to miss this time. If you have not done it already get out there before the season opens and range a perimeter around his stand of say 25-30 yards and either mark it, or use landmarks as reference points. This way he will not have to guess yardage as much. If a deer walks inside that circle he will know he can take it. It takes a lot of the stress out when shooting a deer.

Make sure he knows not to rush the shot as well. If it wants to get closer, let it. And wait until it is relaxed and envision the path the arrow will take thru the deer. Like you hear a lot of us say, aim for the exit wound.

I hope he does great this year. I understand his mistake last year of getting down too soon. The first deer I shot I had a really hard time staying in the stand as well. And I was in my mid 30's, not a 12 year old kid. It's pretty exciting stuff.

Paul
Old 08-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i wish you good luck. this will be my first year of serious bowhunting so maybe we'll both have some luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:07 PM

Good luck to both you and your kid, But what happens if your kid shoots the big one and you get stuck shooting one of those little ones.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

best of luck to both of y'all...y'all be safe!!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 PM

Good luck and very nice to hear from an adult taking kids on the good road

Quick Reply: Year 2 for my young hunter !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.