Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck of a lifetime, then quit? >

Buck of a lifetime, then quit?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck of a lifetime, then quit?

Old 08-25-2005, 07:14 AM

Default RE: Buck of a lifetime, then quit?

but you gotta give it up for the rest of your life when all the dust settles.

hmmmm seems everyone in the whole hunting world has put all the emphisise (sp) on how big the antlers are. everyone except me. what my personal record deer are are just that personal, most of my more fulfilling hunts were when I bagged the doe, cause thats the one I was out there to get.
Nope I'll give it up when It isn't fun to be out there anymore. And believe me, with some of the attitudes I'm running into out there It won't be long.

but, how large the antleres are, is not even in my thought process when I go hunting.. [&o]
Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Give up HUNTING???? what are you nut's???? I would never give it up, not by choice.. it just means to damm much to me.. To me any deer I get is a trophy,, I don't care if it's a 145# doe,, I hunted that deer, made the right choices, Out smarted her,, and made the kill.. Give up hunting for one world record buck,, not in this lifetime,, No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not just NO, but HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:08 AM

No thank you but thanks for asking.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes and no.

I have no doubt that I could never give up hunting cold turkey, buttaking a record book buckwould change my whole outlook. I'd spend a lot more time taking other people hunting, videotaping hunts and camera-hunting. I wouldn't put as much emphasis on ME getting the big buck, but I'd re-focus my efforts on teaching other guys the tricks of the trade.

I'm at that point with turkey hunting. A couple years ago, I killed a record book gobbler. I've been a turkey addict since I was 12. Now, I get a bigger bang out of guiding a guy, and watching them take their first turkey. I like watching kids get so excited that they shake like a leaf when that tom's coming in. I know I'll never kill another bird like that, so there's really no point in killing myself over trying. I tag out every year, I wait out a nice tom, but I'll tell you right now, I definitely get more amped about calling in a bird for a first-timer than killing one myself. You have a feeling that you've "graduated" or reached some pinnacle of the profession, and you feel a duty to help others succeed the way I did.

You just look for ways to find that excitement again. For me, it comes with watching others grow as hunters - watching a guy get his first archery kill - calling in a gobbler for a guy who hasn't killed a turkey in his life - listening to a guy call his buddies on his cell phone from the field and tell them about what an awesome experience he just had.

I reckon I'd take the same approach if I ever etched my name on the whitetail hall of fame. I'd never give up deer hunting. I couldn't, but I would probably become more of a meat hunter, and a guide.

Maybe I'm just weird like that.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 AM

i would quit hunting for a million bucks
Old 08-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Nope, that is not why I do it.

Paul
Old 08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

HE!! NO
Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nope. A really nice buck is something to get excited about but it isn't what bowhunting is all about to me.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 AM

i know a guy who was after a booner and hunted so hard for it for two years and he finally got it. He was burned out he gave it up for a couple years plus there was jealous people starting rumors saying it was poached. thats what happens around me when someone shoots a nice buck there is rumors and it is the talk of the town. THe buck the guy shot grosses 180s and nets just a tad over 170

Quick Reply: Buck of a lifetime, then quit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.