Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Bow Opinion?? >

New Bow Opinion??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow Opinion??

Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 PM

Default New Bow Opinion??

I'm in the market for my first bow.I have a buddy thats pretty big into bow hunting.He suggested that I get the Reflex Exscursion.He said this is a really good bow for the money.What do you guys think?Keep in mind that thiswill bemy first bow and I can't spend too much money.I don't want to go cheap either but I could probably afford this bow.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Default RE: New Bow Opinion??

this is just my opinion and what i tell people that ask me about it, is for your first bow i would go with a single cam, you wont have all the tuning problems that you might have with a cam and half, I shoot the browning buck hunter 2, and love it gave around 250, welcome to the wonderful world of bow hunting hope you enjoy abd good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

No offense Jeremy, but what tuning problems with the cam 1/2? I know of none after the breakin period.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few bows in that range you could check out. Reflex Excursion, Fred Bear Mossy Oak Reaper, Martin Jaguar,Parker Buckhunter, Pearson Sidewinder. Just to name a few.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

He said this is a really good bow for the money.
It is and you may be very well served by it. However, I strongly suggest you handle and shoot it first. Just because a bow is a good buy for the price does not necessarily mean it is going to fit you or just be comfortable in your hand.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: 14mercs

No offense Jeremy, but what tuning problems with the cam 1/2? I know of none after the breakin period.
Exactly what I was going to say. Anyways, I shoot an excursion, and I have shot better with this bow than any other bow I have shot. I shoot a lot of 3D, and have shot every hoyt there is, including a very nice protec that was setup for target, also have shot all the matthews and bowtech bows, but always end up going with my reflex. All the hoyts are very nice but compare $300 for the reflex to $700 for the high end hoyts. I'd shoot the bow to see if you like it first, reflex is made by hoyt which I think make the best bows on the market, plus it has the cam and 1/2 which you cant go wrong with. I'd shoot a few differint bows to see which one fits you and that you like the best.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't let the cam thing bother you. There are just as many, if not more problems with single cams than cam + 1/2 or dual cams. They all have their issues, but nothing you should get real concerned about at this point.

As some have said. Take your butt into a shop and shoot some bows from several makes and models to get a feel for them. Stay within your price range for honest comparisons. The most important thing to consider is getting the drawlength to fit you. If the draw is not right then nothing else matters after that. Most people get about 2" too long and never achieve the accuracy they are capable of, and then blame it on the bow.

There is nothing wrong with Reflex if that's what suits your fancy. Good luck.