Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ALERT ALERT ALERT >

ALERT ALERT ALERT

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ALERT ALERT ALERT

Old 07-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ALERT ALERT ALERT

I agree with nodog. I determine what is a trophy for me . I don't like what that guy is doing but it won't change my definition of a trophy.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:06 PM

There is a lot more to big horns that just genetics. The deer needs excellent nutrition and lead a stress free life to get them really large. This guy is going to be suprised to find his deer not much bigger than wild deer that live in a good forage area.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

i can understand the selling of deer sperm to artificially insemenate a deer but NOT cloning.
he is taking skin sames from trophy deer that has been killed, doing something to the DNA and surgically implanting it into a doe so she will give birth to a deer.
Uhh, so what is the difference here? One is natural sperm and the other is DNA? Personally I don't see a difference. Either get rid of them both or keep them both.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:52 PM

Dont really care. I just figure any deer taken w/ a bow is a trophy, besides no matter how long you cook 'em you still cant eat the antlers.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead

I think its just palin funny!!!

For one, Just use some intelligence here for a minute...

You can do Dna splicing and clone a animal , or deer in this case, but and there is a BIG BUTT factor here. You can clone all the bucks you want to and never come out with one with the same antlers, yes there is some genetics involved in antler growth but most of the growth is from the animals diet and over all health , every buck will have antlers that look different in some way, all this dork is doing is starting with a good genetic base sequence. Sounds like a waste of time and a very large amount of money to me..
Totally agree!!! I would hate to see it happen!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:30 PM

Why not? With the way that 'trophy management' has been going, this is just another step in that direction. I've been waiting for some of these guys to tranquilize 'their' deer, and then break one of the bucks legs so it will grow a set of non-typical antlers!Opps, I probably put an idea in somebody's mind!With alll the other artificial deer farming practices already in use, what's to stop the 'trophy only' mentality from doing this and other bizarre practices in the name of the bigger the better? I got nothing against those that choose to hunt, actually hunt(in the woods!) for older class, and usually larger bodied and racked bucks for the challenge since these deer are normally a tougher and rare breed, but the way many approach it now, it won't mean much , because it's just a matter of growing your own, and shooting him off a field once he meets your magical width and score.I'll take mine the old fashioned way---in the wild unsolicited and unaided by artificial supplements, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been goin on for years , now their just stepping up the technology. I had the privelege of visiting a deer farm here in Wisconsin a few years back who was making tons of money by selling trophy bucks , and even just the seman , to ranches in Texas who wanted to up the trophy caliber genetics on their ranches.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each their own i guess. I personally think its wrong to pay to shoot a monster buck. Yes i would love to get a monster every year, but to me there is alot more to hunting than simply being able to put a trophy on the wall. Sitting out in the woods, with all the sights and sounds, not knowing what will walk by next if at all,and then the stories that go along with it after the hunt, that is what its all about. This "trophy" mentality i feel is making people lose out on what we are really out there for, enjoying the wilderness and time spent with friends and loved ones.