Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who is good at sharpening knives? >

Who is good at sharpening knives?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who is good at sharpening knives?

Old 07-27-2005, 03:41 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who is good at sharpening knives?

Champlain, you got it sharp with the stone, she just took the burr off with the steel!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks mez. I bet she knew that and didn't tell me. I'll proudly show her this and get to be the boss again.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2005, 04:30 PM

I use one of the lansky or simular systems. It keeps the angle the same for every stroke. They are a bit of a pain in the but to set up, but the results are good. It takes some of the human error out it. I normally finnish with good butchers steel.

If you have a quality blade with a good edge on it you should really just need to touch it up on a steel every now and then. Stones are good for stuff that doesn't have a good edge to begin with though or a really dull knife. I have seen many ruin a really good blade by trying to sharpen it incorrectly.

And don't use a grinder or anything creates heat on a good blade, it will ruin it. And don't use those sharpners that have the two little carbide inserts in them that make a V. They work, but they take a lot of metal off when they do it. Works good for cheap knives with soft metal and a bad grind. However I wouldn't do with an expensive knife if you want to keep it very long.

The quality of the edge and the steel makes a huge difference. That is why good knives cost money. Also having the right knife and right edge for the job helps alot as well. Or how well you treat it. Cutting paper or other simular stuff is actually really bad for a blade and will dull it pretty quick. As will throwing it in the dirt or cutting things on a hard surface. Don't use expensive pocket knife to cut open boxes and stuff. Use a box cuttor or utility knife if you can. Unless you want to sharpen your knife every day.

I buy pretty decent knives most of the time, like 60 to 80 dollar range. Not top of the line, but not cheap crap either. I am pretty leary of letting someone I don't know use my knife to cut something. I had a guy use my spyderco (serrated edge) on the side of a steel table once trying to cut something. By the time I got him to stop it was too late. And once people discover you have a sharp knife everyone wants to borrow it for every little thing. Then when I actually need it for something it's dull[>:].

Paul
Old 07-27-2005, 05:54 PM

I always tell the guys on my crew "every man should have a knife" when they constantly borrow mine. The problem is a lot of the times the guy will tell me, "I can't carry one while on parole".I always carry one even when dressed up and going out to dinner and while workinga lot of the time I carry my big 8 inch Ka-Bar straped to the side of my leg, it's amazing how polite people are to me when I'm carrying that thing.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Belt sander with fine grit belt put a polished edge on it and it stays that way for a while. Fine stone to touch it up when in the field if needed. Takes 3 min. tops.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 AM

Thanks for all of the information guys! I think for now I am going to give that Lansky system a shot, and maybe get a diamond steel too for touching it up.
I don't have the time or patience right now for the messing around with the oil stones and all that.
Great info though! I appreciate it!