Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 pennsylvania bowhunting >

pennsylvania bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

pennsylvania bowhunting

Old 07-23-2005, 06:18 PM

Default pennsylvania bowhunting

i am going to bradford county, pa. the town is called west burlington has any body had any luck there bucks or does? i guess we are hunting in a bunch food plots there. i heard its nothing to see 15 deer a day is this true? here in mass lucky to see 2 deer a day. i will be going to pa. the first week in october is this a good week i know its not the rut time? any help or info would be greatly appreciated?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:33 PM

Default RE: pennsylvania bowhunting

I'm sure yu will have fun in BRadford COunty. I have been hunting there gun and bow for the last 6 years and continually see both large numbers and big deer. The county is a nice mix of fields and woods (at least where i hunt in Le Raysville). Gun hunting i have seen usually 15-20 deer a day. There are a lot of does but some real nice bucks also. You must remember that it is the 3 point rule over there so its got to be a six pointer or better. A during preseason scouting we always see deer in the 120- 130 range. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Actually it doesn't have to be a 6 point or better according to the 3 point rule. It could be a half rack "Y" but with a browtine bump. 3 point rule just states that on one antler there must be ATLEAST 3 points, which the main beam is considered 1 point, then there has to be a point atleast 1 inch tall and a browtine bump (no minimal length as long as it's there)

Just checked the PGC.. this year they changed the browtine rule. Now it has to be atleast 1 inch to be counted as a point. Last year it could be any length, even a bump.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, rile1564 is correct onpoint restriction here in PA... and we should mention that certain areas are 4 points to one side. As far as the rut... although it does vary, the norm for peak activity hasbeen common during the last week of the PA archery season.

Your area is a good one and week #1 has just as good odds for tagging a nice buck as the last. If I had to choose, the most important weeks of the PA season would be the first and last week. One buck only in PA per year... ironically, my last two buckswere arrowed on the evening of the next to the last day in the final week of archery season.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is gorgeous up there. My family has ground near Canton, and there are lots of bucks there on our game cameras. I will be up there the last week of season and a few weekends before then.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:32 AM

It could be a half rack "Y" but with a browtine bump.
Just a correction... a BIG correction. Browtines have to be at least 1" in length. The changed the "bump" after the first year of AR. Check your digest.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

I edited that about 3 mintues after I wrote it.. The amendment is at the bottom, in the last sentence.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:27 PM

I used to work up there for awhile and yes there are alot of nice deer there. I only live about 50 minutes away from there but have never hunting there. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

There were quite a few deer up there the last time I hunted it 4-5 years back. I have no idea what AR and HR have done to it since then but I bet it would be fun to find out.