Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting  troubles >

shooting troubles

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting troubles

Old 07-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Default RE: shooting troubles

don't look at your pin, look at the exact spot you want to hit from the moment you turn your head, thru your draw, your full draw position, and then let the pin slide in front of it. don't change your focus from the target to the pin. when you change your focus your body will move to accomodate it. keep looking at that spot for 2 seconds after your release. it takes practice, but it can be done.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

All of the above, also you might try to take a weight of about 7-10 pounds and hold it straight out in front of you while you watch tv. Do this till you can't hold it any more. Take a rest and do it again. By the time the season rolls around you bow will be weightless.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

One other thing... Try this test to see if you are getting a natural alignment of your shoulders to the target.

Assume your normal stance in front of a target. The further away the target is, the better, 60 yards is good. Close your eyes then draw the bow to anchor. Then open your eyes and see where your bow is actually pointed. High or low is not our concern; it's the left/right alignment we need to get right.

If your bow is pointing off to the right, move your back foot forward about 12", then repeat the test. Or, if you're pointing off to the left, move your back foot back about 12" and repeat. the test. Keep moving that back foot whichever direction you need to until the bow is in line with the target when you open your eyes. Then make sure you get your feet in that exact position every time you shoot an arrow.

The reasoning behind this is, if you do not have your shoulders naturally aligned with the target, you have to use muscle power to put the bow on target. Muscles are not very stable and can give you a lot of movement. When you align your skeletal structure to the target though, all the tension is bone to bone, much more stable, and very little muscle power is needed to put the pin on the target.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Nice point, Arthur.

I've been fighting some left right troubles recently. My groups out to 45 yards are only 1.5"-2" tall, but they can be varied as much as 8" horizontally. I've been spending a lot of time worrying about grip but never thought to check foot position.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:45 AM

another way to test that is get in full draw position with your pin on the dot and close your eyes and count to 8. then see where your left right is. you have to do these tests multiple times. and its not something you do 1 time and that's it. form naturally evolves, so the test needs to be done every other month or so, so your stance can evolve with your form.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

One other thing... Try this test to see if you are getting a natural alignment of your shoulders to the target.

Assume your normal stance in front of a target. The further away the target is, the better, 60 yards is good. Close your eyes then draw the bow to anchor. Then open your eyes and see where your bow is actually pointed. High or low is not our concern; it's the left/right alignment we need to get right.

If your bow is pointing off to the right, move your back foot forward about 12", then repeat the test. Or, if you're pointing off to the left, move your back foot back about 12" and repeat. the test. Keep moving that back foot whichever direction you need to until the bow is in line with the target when you open your eyes. Then make sure you get your feet in that exact position every time you shoot an arrow.

The reasoning behind this is, if you do not have your shoulders naturally aligned with the target, you have to use muscle power to put the bow on target. Muscles are not very stable and can give you a lot of movement. When you align your skeletal structure to the target though, all the tension is bone to bone, much more stable, and very little muscle power is needed to put the pin on the target.

Great advice Mr Pettijohn! Can't be relaxed if your fighting. Try all the time when around my wife, eventually she throws something my way to ruin my meditation. I've learned to square up with her as well.