Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EYE DOMINANCE

Old 07-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EYE DOMINANCE

DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES !! Either eye - when you do so you lose any chance of having any depth perception - ie judge distances.
Ahhh data ,that is what we're talking about here. People who have an eye dominancy problem who would like to try shooting with both eyes open. If your left eye dominant and you shoot right handed , if your dominancy is as bad as mine , you'll need a good 10" sight extension bar to bring the sight out to the left (on a right handed bow) , if you can see through the peep to begin with.
Not all eyes operate the same! I'll guarantee you that I could give you my lookers and you'd get very frustrated trying to shoot a right handed bow with both eyes open!

To say "DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES ,either eye" to someone with a strong single eye dominancy problem is ridiculous.

As for judging yardage? Doesn't effect me one bit! Most people judge yardage before even drawing their bow. And if the deer takes a sudden turn and changes the yardage? Simple...I open my other eye and watch until he stops.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:15 PM

If your left eye dominant and you shoot right handed , if your dominancy is as bad as mine , you'll need a good 10" sight extension bar to bring the sight out to the left (on a right handed bow) , if you can see through the peep to begin with
Impossible to shoot a compound right handed using a peep and sights with a left eye dominance and using that left eye

Repeat - impossible

Left eye dominant shooters shoot right handed and use their right eyes - their NON dominant eye. Now, when you draw the compound and anchor, that peep is right there for you to use with your right eye.

USE IT

Concentrate, and there will be no problems at all. Lapse your concentration, and BLAM! you're looking with your LEFT eye, on the outside of the peep and you cannot shoot JACK that way.

Again, I need only to point out that for every waking minute of the Right Handed, Left Eye dominant persons life they have COMPENSATED and LEARNED to do things the very same way. You change it for shooting a bow, then it stands to reason you also change the way you eat, hold your omputer mouse, write a letter, throw a ball, golf .......... ahhhhhhhhh, you see what I mean, don't you ? Because you're NEVER going to change all those things that you likely do well anyway. Right ?

Archery is no different. I'm VERY left eye dominant, I DO know what I'm talking about here
Old 07-19-2005, 10:25 PM

I throw darts right handed, eat with a fork left handed
hold the computer mouse right handed, write left handed
throw a baseball right handed, bat left handed
cast a bass rod right handed, then reel left handed

I'm all screwed up.

I'll adapt and overcome.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 AM

metro - you ARE messed up, aren't you ?

Old 07-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: metro

I throw darts right handed, eat with a fork left handed
hold the computer mouse right handed, write left handed
throw a baseball right handed, bat left handed
cast a bass rod right handed, then reel left handed

I'm all screwed up.

I'll adapt and overcome.
LOL!!!! That sounds like me!

Lefty: Shoot firearms/bows, throw baseball, write, eat w/fork & spoon, play drums (left hand taps beat on cymbal, left foot kicks bass drum, right hand hits snare), kick soccer ball left footed, fling a frizzbee, use hammer to hammer in a nail. Fight (well, you know... if I got into a scrap, I'd hold my own with the ol' "left hook out of nowhere..." )

Righty: Play all other musical instruments (guitar/bass/mandolin/etc..), throw football, swing bat, swing tennis racket, play golf, use computer mouse, cut with sissors (do they even make lefty sissors?) and a few other things that I can think of....

I too am all messed up!

Butch A.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:51 AM

let me suggest that for guys doing many cross stuff ........ ya'll are more equal dominance than either eye dominant
Old 07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

data,

I don't really feel like arguing with you because I am just not in the mood. But I can assure that I have been around for a little while and come to be pretty proficient at everything from sporting clays to trad equipment and I have been fairly competetive in both archery tournaments (in the past)and bass tournaments(currently) so I think I know a little something about concentration. ICAN NOT shoot worth a flip with both eyes open. You can give the spiel in what ever language that you want to but beeing cross eye dominant is not an advantage and it is not conquerable by everyone (no matter what you "think"). I have become proficient shooting by closing one eye and unfortunately it's my good eye. There is not doubt that I could shoot better if I could see better out of my right eye. Also, depth perception is a non-issue bowhunting because when I judge yardage I have both eyes open and then I close one as the string comes up and put the appropriate pin in the appropriateplace.You may have conquered the problem but you couldn't do it with my eyesight and I will happily right you a check for a hundred million if you can prove you could
Old 07-20-2005, 03:52 PM

datamax, you are taking it too seriously. I'm sure everyone gets the point. I shoot my compound left handed, but a longbow right handed and I do fine. I've never even heard of Howard and Larry. By the way, I also shoot guns left handed.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Impossible to shoot a compound right handed using a peep and sights with a left eye dominance and using that left eye
Exactly!! Thats why myself , and many other right handed shooters with left eye dominance shoot right handed and close our left eye.

Left eye dominant shooters shoot right handed and use their right eyes - their NON dominant eye. Now, when you draw the compound and anchor, that peep is right there for you to use with your right eye.

USE IT
I do , and it works great for me! I just close my left eye like this.

When I shoot my recurve (no sights) , I keep both eyes open , totally different ballgame.

If your telling me that you shoot a right handed compound , with a peep , with both eyes open , while being left eye dominant , I'm telling you that your "left eye dominance" isn't nearly as bad as you think , or nearly as bad as other left eye dominant archers (myself included).

The more I read your reply , the more my head spins.I think we might be trying to convey the same message?[&:]I dont know , just shoot!

Old 08-22-2005, 08:42 PM

I know that this is an old thread and I thought I would respond by saying, that it was helpful reading your responses and knowing that I'm not the only one with eye-hand cross dominance (left eye dominant and right-handed). I found this site by surfing the 'net about archery and left-eye dominance issues within the sport of archery.

I'm very new to the sport and on the fence about whether I should purchase a right-handed bow or a left-handed one. I just came back from one of the local archery shops this afternoon and found that I'm very comfortable shooting either way, although my left eye wanted to take over when I was shooting right-handed. When I did shoot right, I had a better grouping of arrows on the target. The sights were a little off when I was using the right and left practice bows, though. The bows were recurves and I want a compound. The archery shop didn't have a left-handed compound for me to practice with that would fit my size, reach and draw weight.

I am interested in the sport and would love to go hunting with my husband. I just want to make sure whether that I get the right bow that I can 'grow' with rather than being unhappy with a bow that I'm not comfortable shooting.