Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Eye Dominance... >

Eye Dominance...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Eye Dominance...

Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Eye Dominance...

Is is that important with a bow? I am right handed but left eye dominant. I have shot a right hand bow all my life. I am fair. Would it be noticably different if I started shooting lefthanded? Is there a sight out there for the type of bowhunter I am? I thought I found one awhile back, but I'm not sure what to do. A few years ago I bought a Bowtech Liberty and I LOVE IT. I'm just not as accurate as I feel I could be. Plus, I may be getting the itch (a Diamond Black Ice, Pearson Z34, Bowtech Alliegance). I am just wondering if I would get progressively better if I shot lefthanded. I shoot all weapons, except handguns, lefthanded and am very good. Curious.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Eye Dominance...

As a rule it is better to shoot with the same hand as the dominant eye.

But saying that one of my 3d partners is the same as you and a very good shot but he has worked hard to get where he is now.

All you can do is see if a dealer will let you shoot a left hand bow and see how it feels to you.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Switch, that's what I did and I'm glad for it. I felt more comfortable from the very first shot and I can shoot more. You'll feel more tired for a while because you aren't used to it, but your eyes won't be as tired.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM

I am the same as you. I shoot a rifle and bow left handed. I feel a lot more steady using my stronger arm to hold the bow but Beezer is right. It will take you some time to get used to it and build up the muscles in your left arm and shoulder. Good luck