HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 PM
RattleSnake1
Typical Buck

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

I can honestly say I don't like the idea of a neck shot simply because of it's not only a lower percentage shot than a double lung, AND the high risk of loosing a deer to it. I unfortunately though can't say that I'd never do it. Last season, it came down to a shot in the neck when the buck stopped just as entering my shooting lane. I held on for as long as I could, but eventually he stood there longer than I could hold the back. I took careful aim at the center of neck and pulled the trigger on the release. The arrow hit with a resounding crack and dropped him in his tracks. The arrow not only broke his neck but also severed the main artery as you can see in the pic.
Let me repeat myself, I don't like the idea of it, and would probably never do it again, but like others have said in this thread; it's easy to be an armchair quarterback until faced with the situation that puts you there.
With all that being said; I'd like to know how many here have noticed the number of ppl in those videos shooting deer in the shoulder blade? I even know a couple guys that do it ON PURPOSE because they believe the new technology of carbon arrows, broadheads, and bow power won't let them down. Any feelings on this one?