Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much should we teach? >

How much should we teach?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much should we teach?

Old 07-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How much should we teach?

...when they end up taking the lead on their own. I am still learning from my dad and he is 77 years old. I don't think we ever stop learning but little by little he will do his own thing.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:30 AM

I am still learning things myself after several years of hunting, and passing on what I learn to my friends. We are never to old to learn or teach.

Besides don't we get on these sites to share info and learn from others??
Old 07-16-2005, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you stop being his Dad. Letting him be is a form of teaching. He will have questions to ask.

Said in my best Forest Gump voice.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mo, sounds like you have done well in the basics of bow hunting with your son. My suggestion to increase his knowledge is to find an approved International Hunter Education Association course. This course will touch base on all aspects of bow hunting from safety to game tracking and upon completion he will receive a certificate of completion that meets all the requirements worldwide for a bow hunter education certificate to purchase a license. It wouldn't hurt to have dad attend the course with his son. Even experienced hunter will learn something from this instruction.
Good Hunting...
Old 07-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

My son has also turned 14 this month and I hope to still be teaching him for a long time to come hopefully some day he will have something to teach me.He's a good boy just a little hard headed but so was I when I was his age.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds as if you've done well in providing the direction he needs. My Dad hunted with me about as many times as I can count on one hand. I really would have liked to have him with me everytime I went to the woods, and still wish that even today. Learning as you go takes a great deal of time, often to find you've sought information from sources once thought accurate.

As a father, I would go with him as long as you are able. Only shadow him if he needs room, but always be available. He'll appreciate it as he grows older and you'll still be able to tutor, all the while sharing inhisoutdoor success. My son just turned 13, took his first last seasonand I'll go as long as I'm able. No matter how good he becomes, you'll still be able to contribute... it's a Dad thing.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Most of the time, you don't get the chance to step aside. They push you aside first!!. There's no absolute answer , but if you maintain a close relationship, you'll just know when it's time. I suspect you're a good father who cares about his son, and that's what really matters .

By the way, what part of cent. Missouri are you from?? I'm going to bowhunt some in North central missouri this fall. Never have before, was just wondering what it was like... and good luck with your son!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

At what point do we step aside (not abandon) and let them learn the rest on their own?
You won't need to stepaside. He'll knock you out of the way pretty soon.