Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie dropaway cord QUES >

Newbie dropaway cord QUES

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie dropaway cord QUES

Old 07-13-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Newbie dropaway cord QUES

I'm having trouble keeping the cord attached to the cables. I'll shoot 10 or so shots and it will come loose (I'm sure the cables are hitting the knot and loosening)
I can tie the knot on correctly but is there any way to really secure it? I was thinking of tying thread around the cord just above the knot to keep it tight? Maybe taping over the whole knot, cord, and cable?
Any ideas?
Sorry if my description and terminology are bad. Thanks all.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Newbie dropaway cord QUES

I would insert it through the cable and then serve above it so it won't slide up. You will need access to a press for this.

good luck.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:01 PM

The cable is coated.The cord is attached to the criss-cross cables between the rest and bowstring. As you can tell, my terminology is pretty bad
Thanks for the quick reply but I think I'll need more [&o]
Old 07-13-2005, 02:11 PM

TribReady - Go to the Winner's Choice website (www.winnerschoicestrings.com). Due to the coating they put on their cables, the cord for drop aways has to be tied a bit differently. On the web site you'll find instructions for tying the cord on the cable and then serving above it to prevent it from sliding up. You won't need a press for this.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Putting it in a press and seperating it would be the bast way, but you said you had a coated cable, you can still serve it to the cable, make sure that your serving is tight as you can get it...
Old 07-13-2005, 02:12 PM

Just a note. You should be able to do this on any cable, whether or not it's made by Winner's Choice.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM

hunohio, Perfect solution, I have a picture of "their" knot in front of me. The knot listed on their site is the one I'm using and my cable has serving on it so it doesn't move up the cable. Everything should be aok, but the knot comes loose--I think from the other cable striking it.
I guess my question is: Can i put serving on the pull cord also to keep the knot tight?

You all are awesome, by the way. Quick responses! Awesome forum!
Old 07-13-2005, 03:17 PM

Yes, you can do that. Before I put new string and cables onmy bow, my cord was served directly to the cable (with the serving over the cord and cable). When you tie the knot, are you burning the end of the cord to create a small bulge and then pulling the knot real tight? If so, it shouldn't come undone. In any event, if you serve over the cord and cable, that should do it also.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:30 PM

hunohio, Yeah, it's got the burnt bulge on the end. I still think the other cable hits it and "pushes" the knot loose.
Thanks for all your ideas, this latest should work perfect. I was worried about not having any play in the connection, but obviously I don't need to worry there.
I'll give it a try tonight and as a Wisconsin Badger alumni and fan, I'll try to appreciate Ohio/Ohio State a little more.............but only a little
Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 PM

Well, given the fact Ohio State can't seem to beat Wisconsin anymore, you should actually feel sorry for them. Anyway, hope that works and good luck come hunting season.

PS - After I responded, I thought about what you said about play in the cord. You definitely need to make sure the rest is time properly (e.g. that you have sufficient "play" in the cord) before you serve the cord and cable and make sure you don't take away that play with the serving.