Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moose in Ontario >

Moose in Ontario

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moose in Ontario

Old 06-12-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Moose in Ontario

Have any of you guys hunted moose in Ontario. I am interested in going up there to hunt, I have looked at their fish and game site but havent had time to read it all. I would be going up there bare bones, no guide and I wont to use my bow, because it is like 100 bucks to get a gun across the border.

Do ya think it is posible to do it on my own, no help from a guide. I am not that concerned about shooting one I just want to give it a try. Dont get me wrong I would love to get one but this would be my firs moose hunt and I am no expecting much.

I know it is a drawing system so I may not get a tag, but I have a few guys that would go with me and they said your chances are better in a group.

Any good books vids on the art of moose hunting
Thanks Guys
Old 06-12-2005, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Moose in Ontario

There`s lots of good bowhunting for moose in Ontario. There is rules that govern non-residents hunting moose in Ontario. First unless you own land here you are not eligible for the draw, you must book your hunt through a lodge or guide. They would supply your with a tag either bull, cow or calf. Your moose license without a tag was $300, I don`t know if it`s changed. The outfitters here usually book a hunt called self-guided were you get a cabin with boat and motor and 1 adult tag for anywhere from$1000-$2500 depending on the demand for tags in their area. As a rule the better hunting is usually in the northwest part of the province. Good luck, do some research and you should be able to set-up a great hunt. Don`t forget you don`t need a tag for everyone in your group.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Dang. I was hoping I wouldnt need a outfiter. I thought I could just hunt were ever i wanted. I must not have read it right I didnt notice the part about needing an outfiter. I dont think I could come up with all the money. I wnted to sleep in a tent, for free (or prce of camping permit). Ow well mabey after I get out of college I will be able to aford it.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Hang on, dont get discuraged. You can find some private guides that you can use for a lot less money. When you stay at a outfitted camp you will usually pay a high price for that "tag", more for the bull and then the cow. If you want to come to Ontario to hunt try applying to the lottery and when you get a tag, use a good guide. If you spend some money for quality hunting you will have a better chance of success. Do some research and instead of cutting costs and going this year, save and make it a worth while trip for next year.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:34 PM

Sorry Spotlight, but a non-resident must receive his tag through a guide or outfitter. He`s not eligible for the lottery unless he`s a resident.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I myself look forward to going after a big bull Moose someday but it is cashy. In the Cabela's Outfitters catalog the cheapest Moose hunt runs something like $5,000 and that of course doesn't include tags and transport and all the extra goodies. Alaska hunts can run over $14K!!! Looks like I have a little more saving to do!
Old 06-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to come to Ontario to hunt try applying to the lottery and when you get a tag, use a good guide.
There is no non resident draw for moose tags, must get them through an outfitter. Now an outfitter can be a broad term. Some are nothing but northern Motels who basically sell you one of thier tags and point you in the right direction and you hunt on your own. There are many true outfitters who can supply you with a camp, boat etc and charge around $2000.00 but thats for 4 hunters usually. Get yourself a group together ( you can't get a moose out of the bush yourself anyway ) and shop around. its not as bad as you think. If you go during archery season you are smack in the best time for calling those big buggers in and thats the most exciting way to kill a moose.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guss---non-residents hunting moose in Ontario must be accompanied by a local guide.
Here is the web page for the MNR--you can find the regulations within:- http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html

However it is a lot easier getting a tag to hunt Moose in the maritimes, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland--you should look in that direction first.
Here in Ontario, the 'red-tape' is fatiguing for a non-resident and dosen't offer very much--of course this has NOTHING to do with us Ontario residents---directions all made by the guys on the "thrones".
As was the case with banning our Spring Bear hunt--and now bears are roaming "urban residents backyards" and still the Government refuses to revisit the law banning the spring bear hunt---the intelligence is OVERFLOWING!!!!!
Wish I could help you more.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guss !

I was speaking with Gord of Moutain Home Lodge in Northern Ontario about 2 week's ago and he still has a tag for moose ,and I'm sure it's an Archery tag 2200.00 for 4 guy's is a good deal .That's 550.00 for each guy which is pretty darn good ,check them out .This includes a great cabin ,your tag a boat fpr a week and a place to hunt .They're great people and they'll take good care of your need's .Did I mention that the Walleye fishing is darn good as well.
Mountain Home Lodge is situated just west of North Bay on Red Cedar Lake on Marten River.

Also the cost of this hunt is in Canadian dollar's ,so that's a even better deal for you's from the U.S.

www.mountainhomelodge.com

Ask for Gord or Kathy

nubo